Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Valkyrie

New Lamiglas Spine ?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I bought an Inshore Classic casting rod, 8'. Very nice but I noticed a slight curve at the top 18" or so. basically 90^ to the guides, the spine seems to be this rientation also.

I have read tons on the whole spine debate and does this really matter enough for me to send the rod back. The bend is very slight, maybe 3/8" over the last 18"-20", I dont care as long as it catches fish and casts well. I am pairing it with a Calcutta 400.

TIA

The spine rarely if ever runs in the same plane as the natural curve in the blank. It often is at 90 degrees. Most factory rods take no account of the spine at all or the line of best fit. I can't say for Lami. It maybe actually built to the spine as you describe it. Nearly all rods have a curve in the tip. As a rod builder myself I have to deal with this situation on a regular basis. I can make the rod look straighter by how I place the guides relative to the curve or I can build to the spine and have the rod look not straight. Technically a rod with a 3/8 over the distance you describe is not bad at all. If I sent back blanks for that amount of devitaion from straight I would hardly ever get anything to build on. You might want to post on the rod building forum and get more views. I would just fish this rod and forget. Next time you buy make a point of eye balling down the blank and if the shape of the rod offends you put it back in the rack.

We build on spine or line of best fit. Some like one over the other. Both work out ok in the field.

Mike

mike, I believe that Lami does spine their rods. That being said, if I spent $400 on a rod, and could notice any bend, it would turn me off. Not saying it doesn't work as well as every other rod out there, just saying it is a little turn-off for me. Call Lami, and ask them if this is something returnable. Chances are that it's not the rod that they will feel defective, but more to satisfy you, the customer.

Chief2,

Lami may well spine their rods. From the description it would appear that this rod has been spined.

I hear you as regards straight blanks but I rarely if ever get a straight blank. Rod builders good ones at any rate are pretty good at hiding these curves by placing the guides to give the best line of fit. But if you take a rod and rotate it slowy through 360 degrees it does not matter how it's been built you will see it's natural curve as you turn it around. The builder is using the weight of the guides to pull the curve straight but as you rotate it you can see what the blank looked like before the build took place. A slight curve in only one plane is very ok. Pig tailed curves are not as are big curves. One reason for not buying mail order.

Mike

i agree with mike. no rod is straight so if i were u i would just fish it. i think everyone is forgetting that this is fishing. its not supposed to be about how nice ur gear looks but how it performs and i kno that rod will perform great

You would not buy a brand new car with a

defective paint job,even though the vehicle

was mechanicaly perfect. you are paying big

dollars for this rod so if you dont feel comfortable

do not hesitate to return it.

On the other hand,if you are in the surf at

midnight,the fish will not know the difference.