Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
emaxxman

Warding bugs off...what to do?

24 posts in this topic

I've been trying to fish later in the day. I don't have a boat so I need to fish later in the day when the fish come closer to where I can cast to.

Problem is, the bugs are biting me alive. Whether it's at Merrill Creek or the Musconetcong River, I'm getting swarmed out.

How do you late evening/night fishermen handle it? Do you use bug spray? I guess I could wear long sleeves and pants but it would be waaay too hot for me (I'm a shorts guy into December).

View PostHow do you late evening/night fishermen handle it? Do you use bug spray? I guess I could wear long sleeves and pants but it would be waaay too hot for me.

We use bug spray when we evening fish. I don't know if it hurts our chances of catching fish, we haven't managed to catch them with or without the bug spray on where we need it.

Amen to the drier sheets, the cheaper they are the better they seem to work also, get the ones from the Dollar tree or whatever store you have that everything is a dollar. Put one in your shoe, one in your back pocket and one under your hat, might also rub one up and down your arms but I've never really noticed much difference with that. This also works on black flies we used them with the boy scouts when we spent a week in the boundary waters and maybe had two or three bites per day which is good even for deet standards.

Can you stand in the water while fishing (waders or no)? That's half the body taken care of and cooler too.

If bugs resist the sprays, as buffalo gnats sometimes do, try absorbine junior. Skin-so-soft is another non-repellant treatment that works for some folks.

Keep all types of bug-dope stuff off your line, your hands, and anything else that goes where the fish will smell it.

View Postget yourself one of those thermacels. Theyre freaking awesome!

they keep the bugs away. used it in canada in june during a bear hunt. bug free!

always wondered about them.. i fish waist deep, wearing waders and a very lightweight hooded jacket witha mesh tshirt under it.. i must look like im from the right said fred video, but hell im bug free.. i also wear a no-seeum net but not over my face, just over my ears / neck.. i have a beard and i think that prevents 75% of facial bug encounters.. i also soak my hat and the no see-um net with deep woods 2x a week. the hat is raunchy!!