Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baddog23

ending cork tape

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Wrap several turns of masking tape about one inch from the end of the tape on the tip end of the tape. Now wrap several turns of masking tape around the blank flush with the tape. using 220 grit sandpaper, carefully taper the exposed inch of the cork tape to create a gently sloping ramp just as you do when preparing your guides.

Once you have created the ramp, carefully remove the masking tape that is wrapped on the blank. Leave the masking tape wrapped on the cork tape for now. Apply two thin coats of rod finish to the entire ramp and 3/4 inch from the butt end of the cork tape. Let dry for 48 hours.

Beginning about 1/8-1/4 inch from the leading edge of the cork tape ramp and wrap up to the top of the ramp. Now wrap the butt end of the cork tape. Apply color sealant and finish of choice.

I assume you mean at the top of the foregrip?

You cut an angle at the end of the tape so that it finished square with the rod. Its about a 45 degree angle but not exactly. I use a razor to adjust this angle so the pointy end just meeds the thicker end in one turn around the blank.

Then I do similar to what Al suggests. I wrap tape around the end of the corktape and I use a single edge blade to cut the taper in . Then I use a fine rasp to smooth the taper. If you need to you can smooth it with sandpaper. I then wrap from the blank up the taper being sure not to wrap the thread too tight or it will dig in. Then I finish with rod finish. Be careful if you use any heat on the finish. Too much heat over the cork tape will cause lots of bubbles , almost like foam to form in the finish. If that happens all you can do is wipe it off and redo.