Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deezee

Can my '05 Toyota 4runner tow a 23' CC?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Hi all. My '05 4Runner (V6) is rated at 5000lbs towing. Considering getting a 23' CC, 1 motor. Looking at max wet weights for the boats I'm looking at, plus weight of trailers, puts us at or slightly above the 5000lbs.

Am I safe with towing w/ the 4Runner, or do I need to get a new V8 vehicle?

It's not a matter of pulling, it's stopping. You'd be crazy to tow that kind of weight with anything less than a full size truck.

View PostIt's not a matter of pulling, it's stopping. You'd be crazy to tow that kind of weight with anything less than a full size truck.

Isn't that what the trailer's brakes are there to assist with?

yes they are. BUT, I think there are different types of brake systems for trailers. I think the REAL expensive ones have hydraulic, like your car/truck, and that would probably be OK. But the basic brake systems are what I have heard referred to as "pulse" brakes, that just give a pulse of breaking every so often. That would be NO GOOD.

What I would be concerned with here, is a V6 pulling that size of a boat. As stated in the beach buggy(I think) forum, for instance, the FJ Cruiser has a listed tow capacity(same frame and motor as the 4-runner) at 5,000 lbs. HOWEVER, with the TOW PACKAGE, including tranny cooler, and possibly some other parts, is 6,500. I would say that with that much weight, even only a little over, you would have to have the factory tow package, including a tranny cooler. I think with a V6, and no tranny cooler, you might have some problems.

How often are you going to trailer?

How far to the ramp?

Assuming it's under a few miles, you keep your speed low and only going twice a week. I would say you would be ok as long as there are no big hills on the way to and from the ramp. Also, you may have issues on the take out if the ramp is steep.

Good Luck.

What boat in a 23' is only 5,000lbs loaded up for a fishing day? My gut tells me you are being a bit generous. I towed a 20' JB Cape Fisherman with my '01 Tacoma for a number of years. I know the '05 has more juice but I wouldn't want to do it over a great distance. I know have a V8 Sierra and would never go back to a small truck.

Sean

I am currently towing a 17 foot fiberglass boat with a 6 cyl ranger. it goes fine but stopping takes longer. I am considering upgrading as well( V8 Tundra). My trailer does not have brakes on it either. I just go slower and dont tow very far, usualy I am driving in the early AM so there is not too much traffic.

Good Luck

I wouldn't. I tow a 3,000# pop-up with my 98 4Runner and I'll tell you it's marginal. Brakes are one common problem with 4Runners and I end up replacing rotors after towing that trailer any significant distance in the mountains up north even though the trailer has it's own electric brakes.

Stability is the other issue; the short 4Runner wheelbase is great for ground clearance off road, but very not good towards maintaining control dragging a heavy trailer behind. You could put a V-12 in a 4Runner and it still won't be a very good tow vehicle for anything over 3000# in my opinion, no matter what Toyota claims.

Boat, trailer, motor is 5000 you say, 60 gallons of fuel will add another 500 lbs, combined with all the stuff, including the passengers & gear in your 4 runner I think your more likely to be up around 6000+ lbs.

personally I don't like to hear people chime in and an say it's OK- as someone pointed out it' stopping. Unfortunatly we are on the losing side of the equation.

Tranny cooler will be a must, maybe a power steering cooler as well. Read the fine print of whats required.

oh and one more thing, my 18 cc, BM &T weighs in at 2600 lbs, I add another 8-900 lbs for a total of 3500 lbs, My vehicle has the complete factory tow package, is a V6 and has a 5000 tow rating. surge breaks on the trailer. It works fine, but I still take it slow......

i've pulled 2-3 tons of crusher run with my v6 taco (3.4) and it does not like it....but that was with no trailer brakes....stopping needed to be planned out. in an emergency stop, i would not stand a chance and definitely cause major carnage. i too looked at boats and what not, and 21' foot is about the limit that i considered. is your v6 the 3.4, or the new 4.0. i would say that the 3.4l is too weak to pull that much weight. forget about highway speeds. the 4.0 could do it, but stopping that much weight behind a 4 runner would require a good trailer brake setup. you can get in cab modules that control the amount and intensity of electric trailer brakes. you would also want a tranny cooler if it is an AT. if i was in the market for a boat of that size, i would buy and older used full size chevy or ford, just to tow the boat, as the cost of the vehicle would be small compared to the cost of the boat.

Stopping is the thing. One mistake and you total the whole thing including yourself. Ditch the rice burner and get a real truck. They are cheap in this economy.