Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alaskansteve

How do i get a good rate on a rental car ??

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I've been looking online for a rental car and they sure want big bucks for a rental in boston. Anybody got any tricks for getting a cheap rate?? Do they get cheaper later in the month or closer to the time i'd be needing the car?? I've tried all the big sites & priceline etc. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Steve

Call Enterprise and get a quote, then say you rented the same car last year in some other city for half that - each region operates as an independent business so their computer records aren't integrated, and they'll almost always give you a rate that you'd been given before.

If that doesn't work, haggle - Enterprise has no fixed rate schedule like other companies - the person that makes your reservation has almost total freedom to charge you whatever they can but they're trained to make sure you don't rent from a competitor so they'll come way down in price if need-be.

icon14.gif

Avoid renting a car from the airport. It is often cheaper to take a cab to a rental location near the airport (or public transport if you do not have much baggage). I used to rent a car from the enterprise location on comm ave in Boston and got real good deals.

I would stay away from Enterprise. They have a habit of finding "discovered damage" that you supposedly caused when you return the car and than hammer you for $$$. From previous research I noticed they had numerous FRAUD claims against the company. Happened to me and a few others I know. Awful company! ENTERPRISE sucks! beatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gif

Find hints here http://www.failingenterprise.com/

enterprise gets a no from me.

On a recent trip to Puerto Rico, two of us rented from hertz and one from enterprise. We arrived at Aguadilla airport, got our bags and headed to rental counters. Hertz had us out in 5 minutes. Enterprise counter had one guy working and he had to go to a lot and get each car. My SIL was second in line and it took over an hour!! Enterprise gets a big thumbs down. Look elsewhere or you may regret it.

ask for government rate. pick any agency, DoD is a good one.

a lot of the cost is taxes. local governments tax the heck out of rental cars, the renters are likely not local, and can not vote there, so they have no voice.

I refuse to do business with Enterprise here in Massachusetts. They love their little fees and strange taxes.

I would go to Captain Kirk and visit Priceline. Bid low, more then likely they will accept it.

Twice I have gone to Florida in the last year and each time I got Jeep for a 125.00 for the week....now you are negotiating!