Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flies-n-plugs

VEGA Headache!!!!

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Thanks to all that have helped with my vega issues so far, but this thing has me pulling my hair out. Right now, I have a master blank in the holders, and have the vega on the back side of the lathe with the tool facing down. I have tried adjusting the cutter from level with the centers, to slightly below center ( above center on the back side of the lathe), and it still looks like I took a beaver to my blanks! mad.gif I have been cutting/feeding slowly at high rpm (3600), but still have very fine chips coming off the cutter-I even tried to touch up the cutter (def. sharper than it was!) Any advice would be appreciated.

I have mine mounted on the front of my JET and had trouble with it also. I adjusted it a few times before I got it right. i have the cutting tip a hair over the centers, and had to measure the distance of the mount a few times before I got it right and it did look like a beaver hit it with a chipped tooth ! BUT i got it right and I have had small problems with the vega and screws getting worn out as the chain passes. I eliminated this with a sleeve that moves under the chain. Now the only headach I have is that I can work faster and have to do more lures ! Could be your allignmentor the height adjustment seems like you have too much of an angle and its cutting out the ti shape instead of the point. you might have to raise or lower the mounts

try a new cutter i had a freind sharpen his and he thought it was sharp but he did not shrpen it correctly i brought over an extra new cutter did not adjust anything and it was cutting ribbons on ayc.

mine is on the front and just below center never a problem.

probably a cutter issue but hard to say not being there. Maybe too small of a radius, maybe none at all, on tip possibly.

If you are sure the tool setting is correct, the RPM's are correct, the only other thing is the cutter. Make sure you have a generous radius on the end of the cutter. Rub your finger/thumb nail against the edge of the cuter. The cutter should shave it!

BTW, what wood are you turning. WRC turns rough anyway.

Is the carriage loose on your duplicator?

Where are you located? If close to Lakewood NJ I will fix it for you.

Thanks for all the input. By radius on the cutter do you mean the tip of it? If so, my cutter comes nearly to a point, maybe a 1/32 radius. I am turning white cedar, which turns nicely with my normal tools, so I wouldn't figure that would be the problem. I had already adjusted the carriage since it was loose when I opened the box, and it moves smoothly now. After lots of tinkering, I got it to cut slightly smoother, but still not great. Here are some images if they help

You need a larger radius on the tool. IMHO most of the problem looks like "tear out". It's time to add the carbide tool holder and indexable insert to your duplicator.

Before you change anything turn a piece of AYC under the same conditions and compare.

I have not tried any other woods-white cedar is all I have other than some red cedar and maple. Still need to find a source for AYC in sw ct. I'll see what else I may have and give a different blank a shot.

View PostI have not tried any other woods-white cedar is all I have other than some red cedar and maple. Still need to find a source for AYC in sw ct. I'll see what else I may have and give a different blank a shot.

Try some maple.