Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NavyChief225

Penn 750SS verses Penn 7500SS

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I just recently picked up two New Old Stock, and still in the box spinners:

Penn 750SS (very early one with the torpedo and chrome handle)

Penn 7500SS

Both made in the USA.

I've had one other 750SS before, and just as old as the one I just picked up, and never had a day of trouble with it. It's mounted on a Lamiglas 11ft Super Surf.

Other than cosmetics, are there any differences between the two that I need to know/worry about? I opened the 7500SS up, and it had all the things I like, such as bronze main gear, and stainless everywhere else, packed into a solid metal housing.

I've been a die hard Penn guy for years (But will not buy Chinese), and take very good care of my gear. Although I swear by my Greenie 704 and 704Z's, and 710/710Z's, the 750SS has never let me down, and is my iron horse on the surf. I was wondering what to expect from the 7500SS. Thanks in advance.

Ed

Looking at the schematics--the 750 and 7500 have different part numbers for the main gear. The only other part numbers that have a -7500 suffix are cosmetic items that have the model number on them (main housing, bearing cover and spool).

View PostLooking at the schematics--the 750 and 7500 have different part numbers for the main gear. The only other part numbers that have a -7500 suffix are cosmetic items that have the model number on them (main housing, bearing cover and spool).

Thanks much. I had looked at the specs on the schematics on Scotts B&T Penn Parts site. I had found the same thing in that area. I'm looking forward to a good pairing with one of my "bullpen" rods. I plan on getting many good years out of it.

View PostThe 7500 probably has the aluminum main gear , the 750 has an all brass gear . If the 7500 ever breaks a tooth the 750 gear will fit .

Bill

When I opened it up, it had Bronze main gear. The main gear is different from the 750SS in that the threads start deeper in the shaft. They can fit a 750SS with a conversion kit.

A previous post mentioned Graphite Housing. The 7500SS I have is metal.

I'm interested to know anyone's experience with the 7500SS while in action with it as the usual..."Every reel has it's own quirks" always holds true...LOL . Thanks Bill.

Ed

I have a 6500ss which is all metal and lets say you couldn't get me to sell it. I am not sure what the main gear is made of never paid attention but it has never been a issue.

View PostI have a 6500ss which is all metal and lets say you couldn't get me to sell it. I am not sure what the main gear is made of never paid attention but it has never been a issue.

Thanks Bill

Ed

The 6500 thru 9500 reels have always had metal housings. Only the 5500 down were graphite.

Penn makes it easy today by calling the metal bodies SSm and the graphites the SSg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyChief225 View Post

I just recently picked up two New Old Stock, and still in the box spinners:

Penn 750SS (very early one with the torpedo and chrome handle)

Penn 7500SS

Both made in the USA.

I've had one other 750SS before, and just as old as the one I just picked up, and never had a day of trouble with it. It's mounted on a Lamiglas 11ft Super Surf.

Other than cosmetics, are there any differences between the two that I need to know/worry about? I opened the 7500SS up, and it had all the things I like, such as bronze main gear, and stainless everywhere else, packed into a solid metal housing.

I've been a die hard Penn guy for years (But will not buy Chinese), and take very good care of my gear. Although I swear by my Greenie 704 and 704Z's, and 710/710Z's, the 750SS has never let me down, and is my iron horse on the surf. I was wondering what to expect from the 7500SS. Thanks in advance.

Ed

Hey sorry for dragging up such an old post but how did you make out with the 7500ss? I am currently looking at a completely unused, still in box 7500ss at a small local tackle shop and have been trying to find out what people think of it... Have you had any problems with it? Does it handle braid well? Do you think it would be a good reel to possibly cast plugs with? Thanks in advance for any response!

- Matt M.

I have the 8500ss which only has a bigger rotator cup than the 7500ss otherwise they are the same size. As for its performance in action, the 95/85/75/6500ss reels are the winches of spinning reels as any fish no matter what the size will testify to. Ideally, the 'pump and wind' action is recommended for spinning reels, but these reels are genuine winches. Spare are obsolete, but if you service them and stave off corrosion, you won't need any spares and for $130  FOR A MINT CONDITION REEL (susequent post), nothing to complain about- just buy it, you won't be sorry! Own a real workhorse for once in your life!!