Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
valhalla2000

Commercial Vacuum Sealing Services in Norcal

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have been unsuccessful in locating the subject anywhere in Norcal. I am going to be fishing up in Shelter Cove, CA with Captain Trent Slate for 2 days next week. I've talked to him a couple times and keeps telling me to "bring a big cooler" because apparently the rockfishing, halibut fishing, etc., is very good up there. He fillets the fish for you, but when I asked him if there is a commercial grade vacuum sealing service up there, he said no. I moved up here last year from Socal, and all the landings in San Diego have commercial vacuum sealing services which are really great. This allows you to keep your fillets fresh for up to a year or more. I went on a 2-day rockfishing trip in April in Mexico on the Shogun out of Fisherman's Landing in San Diego, and there were a couple of kids waiting at the Landing when we came back who vacuum sealed our fish for like $2 or $3 a bag. I still have one bag of fish left (out of approximately 27) and the fish taste so fresh when they are properly vacuum sealed. I've called around San Francisco to find a place that can do it, but so far I've turned up nothing. Thus, I'd really appreciate it if anybody knows where I can get this done. Thanks very much in advance.

You can probably buy your own seal a meal for less and have it forever..Actually I bought mine at Costco and spend about 100 bucks with extra bags..The best 100 bucks I ever spent!!!

Yeah, you should do what i do when we camp and fish. I have a cheap ($20.00) power inverter for my truck that gives me 400 watts of 110 volt. I bring my own vacuum sealer and just do it myself. If i am staying at a palce with 110v power, then just plug her in and go to town. Heck, we even bring it to Mexico with us and seal our fish after the day and send it to the hotel freezer for storage.

Food Saver = best $100.00 I have ever spent. wink.gif

FishinRaiders and Surfhunter - Thanks very much for your responses, I really do appreciate it. Yes, I bought one of those FoodSaver type vacuum sealers from Costco several years ago, I just could never get all the air out; hence, the fish was never market fresh. Maybe I just don't have the technique down. Every time I've had commercial vacuum sealing done - like at Mario's or 5-Star in San Diego, the fish lasts forever and it's as fresh as the day you caught it. Anyhow, thanks again for the responses, just really surprised there are no commercial grade vacuum sealing facilities in Norcal.

Remember when we had salmon to catch? We'd vacuum bag steaks and fillets using a FoodSaver and the fish would be good for at least a year.

Seal one end of the roll, cut to the length that you want, slide fish into bag trying to be careful not to get fish juice on the end that you are going to seal. If you get some juice on the bag, wipe it down. Some of the newer vacuum baggers can seal through the moisture, but some can't.

You can also double seal the ends which helps in case a seal fails.

If you are bagging fish with a lot of bones, you can wrap the piece with a couple layers of saran wrap but you need to be careful not to trap air between the saran warp and the fish.