Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nono40

woodless boats

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase a new boat (maybe not brand new) and would like to purchase a boat 17- 18 ft. center console fishing boat that has no wood-. Any ideas on what boats no longer use wood

Thanks

John

nono, to my knowledge, on most "descent" smaller boats they almost all use wood-free construction. You go with bayliner, sea ray, etc, you can still find wood. Basically the price tag will be reflective of the non-wood construction.

try google. You can word it right to get some good ideas. what do you want? CC, Dual console, cuddy, ski?

Ditto on the Keywest....I always loved the Makos and was ready to buy one until I learned of wood rot. Keywest promotes "no wood no rot" construction. I have had it for two seasons now and it's a solid hull. I have no regrets. Good luck!

not to dissuade you from going non-wood, because in general, it is a good idea. BUT, just because it has wood, does not mean it is a bad boat. It is all about how the wood is cared for, and sealed. It does take care, and when buying used boats, you incur the most risk of this, because you don't know the care it was given previously. If wood is properly sealed, and anything screwed into it is properly sealed, it should be fine.