Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John B

New Trailblazer - Rod Rack mount

5 posts in this topic

My father just got a new trailblazer (the '94 yukon was giving up the ghost finally). The other day we were looking for a way to mount a front rod rack. Anyone with a trailblazer have any tips, advice or pictures they could share? (Pics would be great...)

Thanks.

I assume that this is a plastic bumper? If it is a plastic bumper, you are limited. A lot of these guys go to front mount trailer-type hitches that then get a bracket slip into it, then bolted to the rod-holder.

If by some chance it is steel, you can probably get 4 j-hook bolts, and grab onto the bumper.

a good welding/fab shop should be able to drop some brackets from behind the bumper for low cost.....even cheaper would be to find a friend with a welder (i have one but im in albany) and buy some angle iron from the depot and do it yourself, its really very simple. behind every plastic bumper is some Styrofoam and a steel crush bar which a rod rack can be bolted/welded to. perhaps a member here who has a welder and is closer will volunteer their time and machine....for a case of beer or something (thats what i would charge if you were closer, lol)

Thanks guys. Yeah Chief, plastic bumper. Eric at Southern Lukoil spoke with my father and said he could do it, but the work would cost more than the rack. Labor was the killer, like taking off the front bumper. Any suggestions on where to get a front mounted trailer hitch?

Adk, thanks for the advice. My brother is going to give my father a hand looking around under there thise weekend.

We'll figure it out, just didn't want to re-invent the wheel if someone here already has done it.

Thanks again.

John, I live in seaside as you can tell. I am usually pretty resilient and creative when it comes to this kind of stuff. If you need another hand to look at it let me know.

what kind of holder is this? Just tubes, no cooler? For the front-mount hitch, try googling trailer hitches. There is a BIG company that has a LOT of stuff, and fairly cheap. I'd just guess at around $150 for the hitch, then another $70 for the hitch-to-holder mount. Right across the street from southern lukoil they have the hitch-to-holder mounts.