Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gary T

What to do in Portland

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I'm assuming you're not talking about fishing. Can you give me an idea of what you guys like to do to narrow it down? Plenty of good sightseeing, restaurants, museums, nightlife, shopping, etc....

Thanks for the fast replies. Good guess Jeff, fishing is not a prority on this trip [although I might smuggle my 2 piece 8' in the trunk]. Basically what you said: restaurants, spots to go after dinner and some sights to see during the day. We plan on staying at the Pomegranite [sp?] Inn. Thanks

Gary,

the Old Port is pretty good. Don't be down there late night as there are a lot of drunks but during the day and early evening is good.

Things to check out:

Stroll over to the Maine state Pier. they have a couple of Frendship sloops that for a price take people on a sail around the Harbor.

Stop by J's oyster bar on the waterfront for seafood, and drinks.

Go to Dimillo's for Happy Hour if it's a Friday. Dinner's a little overpriced IMHO but you can't beat the happy hour.

Walk down to Deering Oaks Park ( during the day) very nice park.

Go to the Eastern Prom and take a picnic lunch( stop at Amatos on India St and get a couple of Italiens). It looks out North over the bay.

Good seafood: Susan's fish and Chips on outer Forest Ave.

High end dinner , Fore St.

Good local BBQ: Beale St. in South Portland just over the bridge.

Really great BBQ, Buck's Naked BBQ in Freeport.

Local color in dive bars: the 3 doors of Hell( actually 3 bars on Commercial St. ) Ask anyone who looks local, they'll tell you where they are.

Also Amigo's just up on a side st from Commercial. Good Beer, pool tables, decent Mexican, good people.

Great tackle shop on India St.( You ain't fishn' just shoppin')The Tackle Shop. See Dana or Gabe. Dana's the owner, tall dude. Gabes the shorter guy. Real good people.

Really authentic Mexican : El Rayo, just up from the waterfront.

If you're driving go about 20 minutes North to Freeport and check out LL Beans, also Freeport has good shopping for the wife.

OK, let me see....

Restaurants I would highly recommend:

Fore Street on (you guessed it) Fore Street. Incredible food, kinda pricey, reservations are a good idea. They take walk-ins sometimes.

Street and Company on Wharf Street. Primarily seafood and excellent. Little pricey again but worth it. Make reservations.

There literally must be a hundred restaraurants in town but you can't go wrong with either of those if you're looking for something special. Don't waste your money at DiMillo's though, way overpriced and not that good.

Some more casual fare would be found around the Old Port which you will want to hit for the shopping and nightlife:

Sebago Lake Brewing Company (Middle St), Bull Feeneys(Fore St), Gritty's(Fore St), Norm's East End (Fore St), J's Oyster Bar (Commercial St), RiRa's (Commercial St), Raw Seafood Bar (Commercial St), Port Hole (Custom House Wharf off of Commercial St), hmmm, let me write some more on this later, gotta actually do some work now.wink.gif

Fore Street on (you guessed it) Fore Street. Incredible food, kinda pricey, reservations are a good idea. They take walk-ins sometimes.

I concur, the hanger steak is great and not too pricey. The pan seared mussels with garlic and olive oil is also a good bet. You may be able to get Sea Dog tickets if you like baseball. I'm not sure if they will be playing in town during your stay.

For lunch, check out Duckfat on Middle Street in the Old Port. Coincidentally, just a stone's throw from the Tackle Shop.

More Old Port eats:

For a more casual dinner, check out Flatbread Pizza. More upscale Italian, check out Cinque Terre. Dessert- Beal's Ice Cream.

If you're into craft brews and hard-to-find beers, you absolutely must check out Novare Res off Exchange St. It can be a bit tough to find, but ask a local and they'll point you in the right direction.

Take a ferry ride out to Peaks Island (15min ride from Downtown) and either hit the Shipyard Pub up (standard pub fare and some nicer meals, nice setting) or take a cruise around the island (4 mile walk or you can rent bikes). The reggae fest crowd from noon to 6 on Sundays can be, ugh, interesting? Don't forget to bring a beverage to enjoy on the ride over!

Google Casco Bay Lines

Its an island with a rocky shore line and lots of currents around, so no reason to bring a fishing polewink.gif

You and wife will like the food and atmosphere at Flatbread Pizza. My favorite Mexican is Fajita Grill in Westbrook. Best Thai is a little hole-in-the wall place Seng Thai II on Congress (up Congress from the Greyhound station). View from Eastern Promenade is fantastic. Best bar food I've had is Rivalries' sweet chili buffalo fingers. Enjoy.

I would agree with what was shaid about DiMillo's above , and Iwould segest going over to the portland head light for some sight seeing and if you, get a chance to get that pole out of the trunk there are some spots arond there ( I dont know if anyone reall fishs at the head light I never have and havent ever seen anyone before)

hope you have a good trip

smile.gif

View PostI would agree with what was shaid about DiMillo's above , and Iwould segest going over to the portland head light for some sight seeing and if you, get a chance to get that pole out of the trunk there are some spots arond there ( I dont know if anyone reall fishs at the head light I never have and havent ever seen anyone before)

hope you have a good trip

smile.gif

People do fish at the headlight but when the seas are up it's a little on the dangerous side. Also, you have to climb over the fence if you fish the south side. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who has never fished there before.