Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
srfrat

Fresh water flush

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I added dolfins to my 75 outboard & now I can't seat my rabbit ears properly & have been flushing it in a bucket.It gets better water flow through the water pump than the ears did before the fins were added.Is this ok??seems like the salt water in the engine will just get flushed back into the engine.I flush it for min.10mins.I know a lot of people flush this way,but I'd prefer the ears better,but seems like its not an opotion anymore.frown.gif

which way you guys prefer??am I ok?Thanks

Why can't you fit your ears on? Isn't the pick-up way down on the motor, and in no way impacted by doel fins?

Maybe a pic would help, because I just can't understand why it would be in the way.

Srfrat,

You'll be fine with the bucket method. Just make sure the bucket is big enough (Garbage can?) so that the volume of fresh water is fairly large. Allow a hose to run into the container as you flush and the amount of salt left will be miniscule. While the muffs are effective, and I used them for years on multiple outboards of many manufacturers, I do think a very large "bucket" of water provides somewhat better water flow.

Best regards,

Irv

Thanks irv,I'm useing a 55 gallon drum cut to size.I have it set up so its an easy flush,I've flushed my motors for yrs with the ears.unfortunately the way the pump in take is on my old motor makes things tuff.Taking off the fins is not an option,it runs & plains off so much better with them.highfive.gif

Chief,as you can see in the pic,before I put the fins on,I had to modify my ears,Its more of a pain to get them to seat properly to get good water to the pump.I like the bucket cause the water flow is great,& the motor stays very cool cause I use the well water.Just wasn't to sure the salt gets flushed out well enough.Its an old motor,it runs great & has treated me so well,I'd hate to kill it.

ok surfrat, i have not been around a lot of older outboards like that. Did not realize their water pick-up was so high. Why would it be above the cav plate? I have only seen the water pick-up right above the gear bellows in the lower unit. see below, where doel-fins would not impact the water inlet.

206230-main_Full.jpg

The oldies,were the goodieswink.gif,if properly maintained,of-coarse.So basic to fix.

Your right though, this 1 is different than my 73 I had.Its definitely a lot different than the 1's today,just plug it in & go.tongue.gif

when i had a outboard i just flushed until the water came out without a taste of salt . just dip finger and lick . after taste was gone would continue another minute and she was good to go . after a couple of times you had a good feel how long to run and just tasted a lot less frequently , the half drum is probably better you don't have to worry bout a hose kink or the ears slipping . just put a valve in the bottom of drum to aid in draining . but as was stated i have never seen a set up that high . it should look like the second pic . being that high it will not get water, running on a plane . i believe you are putting the ears on the wrong place .

View Post being that high it will not get water, running on a plane . i believe you are putting the ears on the wrong place .

I'm not that stupid.wink.gif

I've owned boats since I was 15 & as a family we've always owned boats.

I even went to boces for small motor repair & have never seen a pick up like the 1 on my 75 rude,this is why I asked this question.Never needed to flush in a bucket before, we always ran them in a bucket as we worked on them.

As you can see in the pics where the motor sits with the bottom of the boat,it sits low enough for water to flow through the port.The motor does'nt have a piss port,it comes out where the exhaust would usually come out, the exhaust is down near the prop.Hope this clears things up better for you guys,they sure didn't make them back then like todays motors.

I bet when you are on plane, you shoot up like a 6 ft rooster-tail. That motor is WIERD!!!! It has a high pick-up, and to account for it, they have to mount the motor too low for the boat. Very wierd!

P.S.-That's gotta be one BIG bucket to get those doel fins in it too.

No rooster tail at all,kooky.gifIt doesn't sit too low,the boat moves & plains off like a charm.a 25 horse on a 14ft boat, my gps says 25mph,that's probably hull speed for my tin boat. If it didn't sit a little lower in the water,the pump wouldn't suck in.wink.gif

How big a bucket you think 1 would need for a 25horse,the fins are the smallest made.you can put them on a 8horse.Like I said,its a 55 gallon drum cut to fit the motor,once I put it on a cinder block,its perfect.

The pictures make it seem like its sitting lower,its a 20inch shaft.

looks like as you stated . i would just valve the bottom of the barrel and keep the garden hose going until all clear of salt you could pcv and try different size nipples to get it where you are running the hose and still filling the barrel . that is definitely a set up i haven't seen .

srfrat, I was referring to a lot of water splashing up from the motor being low. It is low for common practice of outboards, but you are correct, much higher and it definitely would not get any water.

And for some reason I was thinking it was a 75, and guess I lost a perspective on size, just thinking it was a larger motor, making the fins larger.