Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flatts1

Will The Striped Bass Gamefish Movement Backfire?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

For those interested...

http://www.basspond.com/gamefishtruth/

As an aside, the original article appeared only in the New England edition of The Fisherman magazine. The response by Al Ristori appeared in all 4 regions that The Fisherman covers (in the Conservation Watch column). As a result, folks in the other regions did not have the full context in which to judge Mr. Ristori's comments.

They do now.

Sincrely,

Mike Flaherty

PS

Since Stripers Forever has long since stopped replying to my emails, if anyone from that organization wishes to pass along a text version of their response that appeared in The Fisherman, I'll be sure to include it at the above link. Otherwise, I'll scan it when I find time.

[ 03-05-2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: flatts1 ]

Wonderfully stated!!! icon14.gificon14.gif

In particular, I love your challenge

Mr. Ristori, will you join me in urging your state's fishery managers to conserve the striped bass resource in order to ensure their long-term sustainability? Since commercial fishing for striped bass is not allowed in NJ, then your job should be easier; you only have to convince one group of stakeholders. If recreational anglers do rarely keep a third fish in NJ, then certainly they won't miss it and they will embrace such a reasonable Conservation measure. Right?

I look forward to his response.

Jay,

Hold on, I think we'll all be back to one fish by 2006.

Let's hope we don't have trouble catching that 1 fish by then LOL.

Short-sighted fools like ristori and the cabal running the usual suspect groups like cca and rfa aren't interested in future stocks you silly boys! It's all about the here and now for them...

CMP

cabal running the usual suspect groups like cca and rfa aren't interested in future stocks you silly boys! It's all about the here and now for them...

CMP

CMP - Not for nuttin', but the CCA was the only one of the big "groups" to adamantly, openly, and publicly push for a reduction in mortality for Amm VI. So saying they are only concerned with here and now is probably the least correct statement you could make smile.gif

TimS

Yeah- I gotta agree that the CCA is prolly the only real conseravation-minded org out there- the RFA is dealing with political realities, and bass are a commodity that are to be traded/allocated just like hog-bellies and crude oil...

as far as the gamefish thing goes, I feel its unrealistic (?foolish, even?) to even think this will ever pass, and all of our efforts are better spent elsewhere. recs and comms each have their stakes in the TAC, and will continue to wrangle for the best position. Its my hope that both groups can agree on a solution that best suits the RESOURCE not just the individual user(s)

Short-sighted fools like ristori and the cabal running the usual suspect groups like cca and rfa aren't interested in future stocks you silly boys! It's all about the here and now for them...

CMP

Neither group has support making bass a gamefish nationally.

but they both support that as an integral part of their agenda...

CMP

I'm not saying whether they do or don't...I'm willing to pretend that they do for the sake of my question smile.gif

How would game fish status make them not "interested in future stocks you silly boys! It's all about the here and now for them..."?

I'm thinking game fish status would be in the interest of future stocks, no?

TimS