Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jim11787

150 Yahama trim won't come up

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

2000 150 HPDI- last few times out the motor wouldn't trim down through the gearshift/throttle control- had to wiggle the switch o get it to work. The tilt switch on the engine worked fine so I figures dirty contact on the throttle tilt switch.

Boat is docked in water. Went out today, lowered engine (had to wiglle throttle switch a little) and fished. When I came back to dock all I get is a click sound when trying to raise it out of the water. Will go further down. Tilt switch on engine also just clicks. I pulled the relay and swapped it with the one that does the injection (part number seemed the same)and have same symptom. I'm thinking it's a solenoid, but read on internet people with same problem and it was relay?

Searched the forum where someone said to pull the cover on the tilt motor and clean the connections. Anyone know what's involved and can it be done with boat in water with motor tilted down? Any other suggestions?

If I have to pull the boat to take it for service, I believe their is a manual pressure relief for the trim motor- guess I have to get in the water to release it and then lift the engine up to get it on the trailer?

Thanks for any ideas.

Jim, if there are 2 identical 1" cube boxes, those are the relays. IF you switched them with eachother, and the switch on the MOTOR is just clicking it could be both relays. Those things do have a life-span, and for both to go at once wouldn't be THAT rare. Sounds like you ALSO have a faulty switch on your helm throttle.

Beyond that, I doubt there would be much you could do from IN the water.

To get it hauled, yes you would need it up, so you can use the "pressure relief" screw, LIFT the motor up manually, and have a 2nd person put the screw back in while you hold it up. Will be wet, but about the only way.

Or you can pull the connections apart and switch them so that "up" is down and vice versa. It worked for me when I was having the same problems with my Merc 30. (Problems, by the way, that have just returned.) That should keep you out of the water. It's almost certainly a corrosion problem somewhere in the wiring. I went through changing/switching relays, and it turned out to be nothing more than loose or corroded connections somewhere.

Best regards,

Irv

The first issue was a corroded connection points on the handle, the second sounds like a relay problem. Baulky trim switches are fairly usual. Fortunately these aren't big exense items. JP

View PostThe first issue was a corroded connection points on the handle, the second sounds like a relay problem. Baulky trim switches are fairly usual. Fortunately these aren't big exense items. JP

I agree- sounds like two issues. Changing switch will be no problem.

Question I have is that there are two relays that appear identical, as pointed out in a post above. I swapped these relays and have same issue. I believe other relay is good as it is for the fuel injection and the engine runs fine. So that points me to a solenoid or a bad connection. Boat is 2001 but has very little use and always on a trailer until this year. Engine is clean with no corrosion evident anywhere- but I understand it could still be the cause.

I like the idea of swapping the tilt wires if that's possible on the Yamaha to get the engine up and on the trailer to take it for service. Otherwise I have to find the pressure release screw and use that. I don't have a good ramp where I can get at the rear of the boat. Can anyone identify the wires to swap, if they are accessible from top of motor? Other ideas are appreciated- I don't like leaving motor in down position sitting in salt. Thanks.

You might want to just replace BOTH relays. I have not done this, but seeing what others have said, they are fairly cheap(15-25) and the savings in time and aggrevation, just replacing both. If that doesn't fix it, then you have the aggrevation to go through anyway.

On my engine, the wires come up through the bottom of the engine housing and are attached with push/pull connectors. You should be able to identify them as they exit the relays. Mine are- 1 green and 1 blue. They both must be connected, apparently for the switch to work.

Best regards,

Irv

Update- swapped the green and blue wires and was able to get the motor up- thanks guys. Now a couple of follow up questions. Still get clicking sound (now when trying to get motor down as expected since I swapped wires). The relays I thought I was checking are in the fuse panel and I don't believe they have anything to do with the trim- pulled them both and the symptom is the same. There is some type of assembly that the click is coming from below the block where the trim motor wires connect. Can hear it and feel the click. I would think this is some type of relay or solenoid that probably is the issue. Question- anyone know where the tilt relays are located? Is it thr block that the motor wires connect to, or is it a different part?

Swcond question- I would think the trim swith on the engine and the trim switch on the throttle are wired in parallel and are indepedent of each other. However, if they are in series, then a bad throttle switch in either place could cause the problem. Doesn't make sense to me to wire this way, so I'm pretty sure Yamaha didn't do it like this. Can anyone confirm? Can anyone tell me where the relay is that needs replacing?

Thanks

View PostYou might want to just replace BOTH relays. I have not done this, but seeing what others have said, they are fairly cheap(15-25) and the savings in time and aggrevation, just replacing both. If that doesn't fix it, then you have the aggrevation to go through anyway.

There is one relay for both up and down. It is located in the Junction Box assembly which is loacted on the starboard side of the motor (power head) in the middle. It has a cover. Under the cover are several things including the relay. Hope this helps.

Keeler-

thanks. I think mine looks a bit different, but it looks like the relay is the part the trim motor wires connect directly to- I believe number 5 in the diagram. I will look to replace this part- from looking on the net, it looks like a $200-275 part. Seems like alot for a relay. Will try to get down to my dealer and see what he has in stock and how much.

View PostThere is one relay for both up and down. It is located in the Junction Box assembly which is loacted on the starboard side of the motor (power head) in the middle. It has a cover. Under the cover are several things including the relay. Hope this helps.

I used the manual for a 150 OX, not a HPDI hoping it was similar. If you are not electrically challanged, I can send the pinouts for the relay. That may help you test before you buy a new one. I may have the diagram for your motor. What is the exact model number?

to my knowledge #5 looks like some kind of spark distributor/brain. The trim relays should be about a 1" cube, and they should be identical.

As to the switch, it couldn't be wired in series on your boat. If that were true, to trim the motor, you would have to hit BOTH switches to trim.

My Merc (Yamaha 4 stroke) has now re-developed the problem you describe. I'm certain that the problem is in the wiring somewhere, probably at the point the wires enter the pump unit or inside. I would spend a lot of time troubleshooting wiring before I spent that kind of money on a part that probably is fine. I agree that it seems unlikely that the relay in question is attached to the spark mechanism. I think if the relay is clicking it is probably good, though that is only a guess. I bought a new relay when this problem first occurred a month ago, and switching the new one around between the old ones, the problem remained.

Here's what my shop manual says:

Trim switch "down" and cowl switch "down" both inoperable:

1. Open wire between wire connection and the up relay

2. Open black wire between ground and "down" relay

3. Open red wire between solenoid and down relay

4. Faulty down relay.

Since my engine was built by Yamaha, perhaps this could prove useful.

Best regards,

Irv

View Postto my knowledge #5 looks like some kind of spark distributor/brain. The trim relays should be about a 1" cube, and they should be identical.

As to the switch, it couldn't be wired in series on your boat. If that were true, to trim the motor, you would have to hit BOTH switches to trim.

It does look like a coil or distributo of sorts but it is the tilt relay.

The fact that the relay clicks is not enough to prove it is OK. The relay coil could be good but the relay contacts could be bad. The sure way to test is to jumper the appropriate terminals on the relay to bypass the contacts.

If I get the engine model number I may have the documentaion on how to do that.

Guys/Keeler-

Thanks.

Model is Z150TLRY.

Part costs $269 Local. When I swapped the tilt motor leads the motor operates in the opposite direction, so I'm pretty sure it's the relay.