Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seabass

Won't be long til we see these on Delmarva

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I used to race RC cars back when I was a kid. I could totally build one of those. It looks like the current transmitters are good to at least 1000 feet. That's 333yds. Sounds like a safe way to get your bait out at night!!!

Looks a lot like trotline fishing for catfish in the rivers around the midwest. I know the people who do that say the challenge is getting a big cat at boatside with the line in you hand and not played out, but this thing with the powered winch pulling it in seems less sporting. But then again the deep-drop guys offshore often use electric reels. Where do you draw the line?

It said the tiki could pull the rig a kilometer off the beach. That would pretty much empty a Penn 117 with 130 pound mono as the main line.

Good news is that those things would cost the equivalent of a ZeeBaas or two, and probably would require shipping from New Zealand which would be nearly that. . .

OK, i must have not watched enough of the vid. I thought it was only used to drag the baits out there.

Anything more than that would be retarded.

On another note, my dad was telling me about some guys catching stripers in Raystown. This thread reminded me of it.

There was an area up near the dam brest that was a "no boat" zone. Well, there were stripers jumping like crazy in the "no boat" zone. So these guys used remote control boats (toys) to drag their lures into the zone and then pull them off the back of it. A warden, or boat commision guy wrote them up. Thankfully, the guys decided to fight it and the judge threw it out and ripped into the official that was wasting their time.

View PostOK, i must have not watched enough of the vid. I thought it was only used to drag the baits out there.

They don't really play it up, but look at the winch on the back of the 4wheeler with an electric motor. Pulling in 1000 meters of fairly heavy main line would be tough by hand crank, although it could be done. The tiki just takes the line out. The winch is never in the shots of the line coming in . . . but look at the guys walking along unhooking the droppers with fish.

View PostThere was an area up near the dam that was a "no boat" zone. . . . So these guys used remote control boats (toys) to drag their lures into the zone and then pull them off the back of it. . .

Virginia has a regulation similar to that at Buggs Island for "mechanical lure launchers" within a certain distance below the dam. And British carp fishing sites will sell you an RC bait boat for a grand or a bit less.

View PostVirginia has a regulation similar to that at Buggs Island for "mechanical lure launchers" within a certain distance below the dam. And British carp fishing sites will sell you an RC bait boat for a grand or a bit less.

So they have a regulation that says you CAN'T use an RC boat?

I just did a few quick checks around.... I could probably build an RC boat for that for roughtly $500 using a cheap minkota motor. Of course, that is if they are able to be used in salt water.... forgot to look that part up

View PostIf you want to put out that many hooks, go get a freakin' boat.

$500 as quoted by another member in the longrun might be cheaper than a boat..smile.gif unless someones lady likes sunbathing on the deck. Then of coarse..

a boat it is..naughty.gif Its all good Bobby.

View Postd.

On another note, my dad was telling me about some guys catching stripers in Raystown. This thread reminded me of it.

There was an area up near the dam brest that was a "no boat" zone. Well, there were stripers jumping like crazy in the "no boat" zone. So these guys used remote control boats (toys) to drag their lures into the zone and then pull them off the back of it. A warden, or boat commision guy wrote them up. Thankfully, the guys decided to fight it and the judge threw it out and ripped into the official that was wasting their time.

I watched an episode of Jimmy Houston where they did that for Big Catties

View Post$500 as quoted by another member in the longrun might be cheaper than a boat..smile.gif unless someones lady likes sunbathing on the deck. Then of coarse..

a boat it is..naughty.gif Its all good Bobby.

Yep.... a radio and 3 servos would cost about $190

Cheap minn-kota motor (30lb) thrust: $119

Battery and charger: ~$40

Pelican case to hold the battery and electronics ~$50

That's the meat of it right there and it's $399. The only thing that could make it more expensive is if that motor is not rated for saltwater

The last $100 to build the boat. Of course, that can be done pretty cheaply depending on what you are lookin for. Might be able to get away with two of those lifeguard floats and make them into a mini catamaran. Not sure how bouyant those are though.

I almost wanna build one just to see if my skills are as good as I THINK they are. wink.gif