Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LogCabins

Debit card number stolen online

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I make a few purchases a month online and I sometimes use my debit card for them. The only things I really purchase are tackle and other fishing related things. My checking account at the time of this was with TD Bank.

I received my statement and noticed there was a charge nearly every single day for $79.99 from some weird company. So First I called the company and they told me they are a third party billing company that deals with online subscriptions. They gave me the name of who was making the charges. I cancelled them immediately and went to TD bank. I had them cancel my card right there and issue me a new one. I also filled out a regulation "E" form to fight the charges. The manager at the local branch told me it was very cut and dry case and I would have my money back in no time. He said that people hack in to companies data bases and steal there customers informations and there is no doubt I would get my money back. Well I haven't heard anything for a month so I went to the bank and they told me my claim was DENIED! mad.gifmad.gif

The reason they gave me was because "The purchaser used a verified billing address" I of course said "No effin ---- you can't buy anything online without one! I wouldn't be sitting here if he didn't have my billing address!

The Local branch says there is nothing they can do. I call the investigations branch (yeah some investigation, I even gave them a name) and they told me there is nothing they will do and were extremely rude to me.

So no what? I'm down over a grand, which for me is a lot of money and is very upsetting, and theres nothing I can do? My father said I should try and take them to small claims court? But who? TD Bank? Third party billing company?

So some advices would really be acerbated. I also wrote this to warn everybody about purchasing tackle online. Be careful, check your statements, and don't use your debit card! Also if you have an account with TD bank, be advised I would consider changing banks.

That sucks.

I never buy online with my debit card, ever...and I do buy online quite frequently with my Cabela's Visa or Amex.

Not sure if this would help, if you don't have a credit card?..maybe opening up a Paypal account and funding it with your checking account?

I've heard nightmares about them as well and luckily none for me, so far.

LG do not go for that old saying, "there's nothing we can do" send letters to the bank pertaining to this issue along with copies to the FDIC, bank managers and everybody involved in this issue. YOU MUST RAISE A STINK!! Banks are supposed to protect your money and make sure that you mention in your letter those famous words you kept hearing , "there's nothing we can do" these words are unacceptable when it comes to banking issues and you make sure you let them know!! Paper trail my friend because the pen is mightier then the sword in the corporate world. Good Luck

Carlos

Do you know the merchant who's database was compromised?

They should be on the hook for this also.

This is very scary. I use my debit card and now I need to re-think this.

Its probably a hassle but open up a small acount that you can keep a minimum amount of money in. Then when you need to make a purchase you can transfer money from your checking/savings account into that small account. At least this way you wouldnt be down a grand if your account is hacked into. Maybe only $100 or less.

Brandon, as a former victim of identity theft, I've learned a few things.

1. I'm so good looking someone else wanted to be me.

2. This happens all the time.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsite...rs/defend.html

The FTC has a lot of info. Make sure you read all this and do all the steps. Because they had your debit info and other info there's a chance they'll try to open new accounts or something. The Dispute Form is what you'll want to make sure you do. I'd contact the company that the purchases were made and ask for their Fraud Dispute form, otherwise use the FTC's. Type up a generic letter explaining what had happened because others might just pop up.

Its amazing what can be done now. I lost my DL, got a new one and thought nothing of it. Well, so me jerk who found it decided to start writing checks under my name. There are programs out there where you can make fake checks. The best was when I picked up a "wife". She must have been hawwt!

Anywho, this will learn you to be more weary of things. Keep the file you start from this situation. I still have everything. Learn to be patient and good luck.

BTW, try to make purchases with a credit card. Amex does one of the best jobs for consumers in taking care of issues where something you bought was damaged or not what it claimed to be or situations like this. I'm sure VISA and MC do the same. With a CC, your liability is capped at $50 and they do all the dirty work.

Here is another site that discusses this, specific with debit card info. It sounds like you're within the time frame to get your money back.

James

the consumer protections associated with credit cards are MUCH, MUCH stronger than with debit cards.

Use a credit card to buy online, not your debit card!!!!!

If your debit card is a VISA or MC branded card, try calling VISA or MC.

I have been wary of debit for a while since they were/are "fake" VISA... meaning you dont get the total $50 max liability that VISA gives on credit accounts in the case of fraud. My bank told me that with my "fake" VISA debit card I would have to file claims, police reports, etc. to get money back in case of fraud. Since I heard that, I dont use debit online.

Lately I have heard rumors of VISA changing their policies to cover VISA branded debits as well with the $50 liability coverage for fraud. I have not verified these new supposed changes.

If one is disciplined don't use a debit, use a credit, you keep the interest for about 30 more days, the hell with the bank and/or credit cos.

Also, with AMEX and VISA (from most banks) you do not need to purchase insurance to cover someone fraudulently charging to your account.

Two weeks ago someone got hold of both my AMEX and VISA charge nos. The first charged thousands of dollars at a Home Depot in Arizona. It wasn't even posted yet to my account and AMEX called me because they wanted to be sure I used the account in Arizona. I told them I haven't been there for 5 years. They deleted the charge and said "no problem, we'll investigate and take care of it, you are not responsible").

A day later someone charged my VISA (LL Bean via Barclay's) at a SEARS in NH, same deal, I was contacted and an investigation began, my charge no. was closed and a new card issued by Express Mail at no charge. Also, I believe the law is you are only responsible for the first $50, at most, if your account is fraudulently used. Most banks will waive that and assume the responsibility as I have described above.

I find that AMEX bends over backwards for its customers if you pay full on time. I use AMEX to get "free" airline tickets. Been to Italy, Ireland, Holland, LA, Denver, etc at minimum costs. Can be a pain the arse getting desired "free" flights but my wife is a magician at working with customer service., She handles all the flight and hotel arrangements far more patiently and efficiently than I could.

Sorry to hear about your bad dealings.

That really is a PITA.

I agree with prican1 that you must continue to bug them.

Being tenacious really helps in these matters as they typically just hope you will give up & go away.

Best of luck resolving your problem.

View PostBrandon, as a former victim of identity theft, I've learned a few things.

1. I'm so good looking someone else wanted to be me.

2. This happens all the time.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsite...rs/defend.html

The FTC has a lot of info. Make sure you read all this and do all the steps. Because they had your debit info and other info there's a chance they'll try to open new accounts or something. The Dispute Form is what you'll want to make sure you do. I'd contact the company that the purchases were made and ask for their Fraud Dispute form, otherwise use the FTC's. Type up a generic letter explaining what had happened because others might just pop up.

Its amazing what can be done now. I lost my DL, got a new one and thought nothing of it. Well, so me jerk who found it decided to start writing checks under my name. There are programs out there where you can make fake checks. The best was when I picked up a "wife". She must have been hawwt!

Anywho, this will learn you to be more weary of things. Keep the file you start from this situation. I still have everything. Learn to be patient and good luck.

BTW, try to make purchases with a credit card. Amex does one of the best jobs for consumers in taking care of issues where something you bought was damaged or not what it claimed to be or situations like this. I'm sure VISA and MC do the same. With a CC, your liability is capped at $50 and they do all the dirty work.

Here is another site that discusses this, specific with debit card info. It sounds like you're within the time frame to get your money back.

James

+1

If you feel like doing something immediately I would also suggest you go to your police department and file a criminal complaint against the company that stole your debit card info. You are down a grand and somebody is responsible. Give the detective as much info as you can. It helps to have as many people on your side as possible. Good luck, I'm sorry to hear about your situation.