Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

New Avets

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I'm happy to hear that a new line of Avets are coming out. Looks like September will be the release. If only they made a spinning reel.

New Avet SX "Raptor"

Avet Reels has announced the introduction of the new "Raptor" Series Reels. The first offering in this lineup is the ever popular mainstay SX 6/4 2-speed MC Model . This new dual drag powerhouse features 17bs of drag at strike and to 26 lbs at full. Additionally, all reels will feature the ratchet glide plate and strike lock button (push button on the drag lever) to eliminate the accidental engagement to the full position.

Other industry leading features include a line capacity of 270 yds of 20 lb. test monofilament and weighs in at an unprecedented 17 ozs. . The new Raptor is expected to be available for purchase on or about September 1st, 2009.

View PostI'm happy to hear that a new line of Avets are coming out. Looks like September will be the release. If only they made a spinning reel.

New Avet SX "Raptor"

Avet Reels has announced the introduction of the new "Raptor" Series Reels. The first offering in this lineup is the ever popular mainstay SX 6/4 2-speed MC Model . This new dual drag powerhouse features 17bs of drag at strike and to 26 lbs at full. Additionally, all reels will feature the ratchet glide plate and strike lock button (push button on the drag lever) to eliminate the accidental engagement to the full position.

Other industry leading features include a line capacity of 270 yds of 20 lb. test monofilament and weighs in at an unprecedented 17 ozs. . The new Raptor is expected to be available for purchase on or about September 1st, 2009.

A bevy of beauties.drool.gif

Avet changed the contours of their reels, softened them up a little for improved appearance.clapping.gif

The new Shimano Talica has an enhanced surface treatment to fight corrosion.cwm40.gif

I don't like the squarish part that covers the handle by its end near the drive gear shaft. Its blockiness clashes with Talica's curves.frown.gif

The round part (over the handle) and on the drive gear shaft of the Daiwa is the way to do it. Looks like the radius of that part matches that of the end of the handle which makes for a clean, uninterrupted, unified visual.

cwm15.gif Shimanocwm15.gif

View PostI'm happy to hear that a new line of Avets are coming out. Looks like September will be the release. If only they made a spinning reel.

I would be happy if they come up with any reel suited for the surf....All Avet reels are great for boats...

And kayaks too. I troll with my MXL and cast with the SX. The Avets have been very simple to maintain.

View PostI would be happy if they come up with any reel suited for the surf....All Avet reels are great for boats...

A magged SX or MXL/J will do the trick or the new MC version of the three seizes will work too. The Avet is a great surf reel.

View PostA magged SX or MXL/J will do the trick or the new MC version of the three seizes will work too. The Avet is a great surf reel.

I own two of them and I magged the sh$t out of them and these reels will never be a good surf reels. I practices casting with these reels about once a week, and this is what they good for on land...

Has anyone got their hands on one of these yet? Avet claim that the reel is capable of 17lbs drag at strike and 26lbs maximum drag but does anyone know how they've got round the problem of lateral loading making the handle difficult to turn - a problem inherent to some degree in all lever drag reels. With the normal SX if you start to go far above 9 or 10lbs of drag you start to notice the effect of the loading on the right main side plate bearing when you try to turn the handle. This is not really a problem with the SX as the reel is a 12-20lb class reel. If you use 20lb line you would probably set the drag at strike to about 6lb giving a about 9lbs of drag at full. With these drag settings no loading would be noticable so if you use the reel for the job it was designed for you won't have any loading problems.

But Avet now claim the SX Raptor is capable of delivering twice as much drag as the normal SX. Does anyone know how Avet have solved this lateral loading issue with the Raptor. Have they fitted a bigger bearing?

TRophy Tackle in West Babylon LI has ordered these and will have them in his shop hopefully in a week or 2. Apparantly they are not coming out with teh SX right now, but they are starting with teh next size up, I think MX (or HX, not 100%). THey have apparantly fixed teh binding problem on this particular reel, although it does start to bind up a little when you are at full drag & 36#'s of drag. Hercules will still have a problem at this drag setting, lol.