Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ehunter

What's this guy up to ?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Can you tell what that pile of stuff is on the back deck? Also what is that black arch looking thing? From the picture I can't tell what kind of rigging that boat has. My guess is that if it was cruising back & forth they are looking for a school of sardines to set on, but from the picture it does not look like your typical seiner. Mike

If that pile of stuff on the back deck is a net & that black arch looking thing is a boom, then perhaps it is a seiner. Does that pile of stuff on the back deck look like it has a cork line?

View PostHe comes down and does a U-turn. All at about 300 yards off the beach.

Doing about 2-4 knots I am guessing... up and back.

ehunter,

I think the captain spotted a "WINCH" Plug floating around near the surf line... He just made a quick U-ii to get that rare striper catching machine. I'm pretty sure I heard "Get that wood... Get that wood!" on the marine radio. bigeyes.gif

I believe its mapping or is studying the bottom contours of the area. He was out on the Marin side all last two weeks. If you saw a bright light out there it was him. Not a net boat. There is an on going study of sand movements in front of the Golden gate.

He has a boom with what looks like a suction hose on it and what looks like a container on deck. 164' 32' beam FV Pacific Star. Probably collecting sardines and macs for Omega oil.

Two small grey boats doing what looks like mapping the last week or so back and forth.

He was out there yesterday too at about 12:30 midday except about one mile further north and 1/2mile out. Wish I could get a better shot of his deck setup.

I strained my eyes trying to make sure he was not dragging a net. I just could not see well enough.

A whole lot of sand has been moved from Ocean Beach at Noriega St and trucked south to the waste treatment plant. The tides have been trying to spreading it around but things sure are going slow. So if they are mapping contours... not sure why they would want to do it now...