Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerrybait

care of fly lines??

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Read the fine print. Most line dressings are meant to enhance floatation, and have a good dose of silicon. Apply them to intermediate or other floating lines, and they will sink more slowly. Glide is the one formulation of which I know that will NOT add extra floatation.

SA pads are made for SA lines. I don't know that they'll damage other flylines. I don't know that they won't. There are a couple of different coatings out there, polyethylene and polyurethane and I-don't-recall-what-else. Why take a chance? The mildest soap you've got and a soft cloth and a little fresh water will clean any line.

For the life of me, I don't understand the guys who spray Armor-All on a $65 flyline in order to avoid spending the price of two ounces of flyline cleaner.

Fly lines are made of two different types of materials PVC which has been around since the year dot and Polyurethane coatings used by Airflo. It is very unlikely that any decent fly line cleaner could hurt either material.. The SA pads would be ok for any PVC line.

Soap and water or mild washing up liqued gets a good job done.A fly line dressing should not hurt a brand new line ,if that brand new line first time out get dirty enough to need a bath. Most unlikely. I only clean my floating lines when they need it. I don't do it for the sake of it. New and out of the box that line is more than good to go.

Also I tend to treat lines as disposable bits of tackle. If I get one or two years then I am happy. They have a very tough life do fly lines.

Mike

I use lukewarm tapwater and an old t-shirt to clean my lines. About every 3 months I'll use a drop of two of mild soap. I can get close to a year out of some of my floating lines, and I'm on the water almost every day.