Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The BuzzardsBayBruin

Fluke out of my yak?

9 posts in this topic

My mother in law bought a pair of nice kayaks last year to use for excercise and never uses them. So rather than sitting in her garage I figure they should get some use. After a couple days catching fluke from shore I was wondering how I would do from the kayak. Do guys usually target this species out of yaks? If so what methods are used? I have been planning a trip out for the next nice weekend. I plan on drifting rigs on the bottom and bouncing jigs like I would off the boat. I see no reason why this wouldnt work but I figured I would ask for advice from seasoned yakers. Thanks for any advice! Good luck and be safe out there.

One of my favorite things to do this time of year is fluke from the yak. Don't over think it, just do it. I typically bounce a bucktail tipped with bait (squid, sand eels, killies, big spearing or gulp) and about 2 feet up I tie a teaser hook also tipped. Your biggest issue may be too much drift. A strong afternoon seabreeze can cause all kinds of problems. I can overcome most of them with my mirage drive, however, you can also just drag something to slow you down. A drift sock, sash weight, small mushroom anchor, even a milk jug filled with sand will do the trick. The key is to use something that will resist snagging. Always have a knife handy to cut loose if you get hung up.

Go for it! Good luck!

I went out Thursday with Carp13 out of Barn Island launch and went out towards Napatree point and the break waters. We did ok just using the breeze for a drift. Ran a three way with a 3 oz dropper about 2 ft long. A 3 foot leader off the back with a lightweight spoon and squid strip trailer. The key is the spoon can't be to heavy or it will drag instead of fluttering above the bottom.

T

Yup.. Fluke is one of my favorite species to target off the yak.. but number one rule.... BRING A NET. I forgot one my last outting and lost two of the biggest fluke I've ever seen... beatin.gif

Chip

yesterday was the first time i officially fluked off a kayak, it was a blast. i just bought my kayak (used) like 3 weeks ago. keep in mind I have very minimal experience kayaking, and fluke fishing for that matter. within 2 hours of fishing yesterday i landed 4 fluke...all shorts in the 12-13" range. it's not rocket science, or really dangerous, etc. the most dangerous part was having a toothy fluke almost taking a little chunk out of your leg as it flops around the boat.

some folks on this board make it sound like fishing among some boat traffic is super-sketchy and something a beginner should avoid...it's really not if you have a half a brain, minimal athletic ability, and wear a life jacket. i basically was casting right into a boat channel the whole time and bouncing off the bottom with bucktail jigs and gulp swimming minnows.

the reason why everything went so smoothly was because:

1) I planned ahead...I had my lures rigged-up in advance and my kayak was bought all rigged-up for fishing. I wouldn't even think about rigging up on my kayak...It would be a waste of time, Plus I would have been fumbling around and probably losing swivels and spools of leader overboard.

2) I finally found a good spot to fish. Nobody else was there either. It was in Manasquan...That's about all I can say so I don't get people all bent outta shape.

Have fun!

Well I took the kayak out for a little test run earlier this morning and took some wake up to about a foot and a half tall and handled it fine. I noticed the drift was pretty fast when the current and wind lined up so I definitely plan on trying the five gallon bucket trick. I appreciate all the tips. I hope to get out within the next couple days. I cant wait to get a couple fanged flat fish to come up!!!