Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nitsuj

Reel Advice - Nautilus or Ross

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Ok, i know these thigns get beaten to death, just havent found anything that has experienced comparisons/opinions...so here it goes...right now i have a redigton rs2 on my 8wt, great reel, i love it, except (and redington admits to this) the reel seat on the reel is smaller than any other (shorter and thinner) which in turn, it moves around a little while using it, not good, i have another rod i can get it on tight enough to use though, so im in the market for a new reel for my 8wt, conveiently, i can get a deal on both nautilus and ross, i dont know alot about ross, and i have a friend thats a guide that uses nautilus exculsively and abuses them and they just dont stop, so im a fan,

im debating between Nautilus FW7+ (nice and light, hols 8+200yds), Nautilus CCF8 (heavier, hold 8+250yds and has cork + cf drag), Nautilus NV 8/9 (holds 250yds of 30 and has cork and cf drag) on the top end of things, spare spools for it are on the expensive side compared to the other 2

on the ross side of things, i was looking at the momentum lt #4 looks very comparable to ccf 8 except they dont say their drag is sealed, spare spools are fairly expensive though, and the vexsis #4, which seemed comparible to the fw7+

any opinions or experiences would be awesome especially if you can compare any of them to one another, i use my 8wt mostly for hardtails when theyre around, schoolie stripers/blues, in the winter for steelhead

thanks in advance

I have used both reels and while they are both outstanding reels a little word of advice to you. This winter while steelheading, something you said you would be doing, my ross took the inevitable plunge into 33 degree water and when the reel was exposed to the 10 degree air everything obviously froze. After the dethaw the drag no longer functioned. For the life of me I could not figure out the problem, no parts seemed to be damaged after a lengthy investigation but the drag would just not engage. As to be expected when I sent it back to them they sent me a brand new reel so their customer service is definalty top notch. On this same subject my buddy who was fishing a nautilus ccf 8 dunked his repeatedly and is still functions like knew. Just some hands on observation. I still love both reels but next winter my ross will be the back up.

Keep talkin' while we got ya here, 1775.

Your comments coincide with those I've heard elsewhere.

Dan Blanton occasionally remarks, on his board, "Buy the best and only cry once." I'm (slowly)(reluctantly) drifting towards that point of view ... but as long as boat rides cost money, I think the prudent man's priority has to be getting to the fish. I can always use the guide's tackle.

I have a ross canyon. It has a very smooth drag, but the drag must be thoroughly rinsed in hot water while rotating, after a dunking in salt or it will stick causing a breakoff at hookup on flats speedsters. I now give it an extended rinse while rotating every time I get home after wading.

If you don't do it immediately, you may need to repeat the process severall times (and with detergent, followed by oiling) to get it operating smoothly again.

Of the two choices, my next one would be a nautilas - though I have never fished one.

I have fished both reels and my choice of the two would without a doubt be the Nautilus. I have fished many tarpon with the Nautilus reels,done nothing more than rinse the reel when I get back without a single issue. One great reel for the price.

I haven't fished the Nautilus, but hear good things about them.

I own Ross BGs and have fished the Momentums (but not the LTs). I am tough on gear and have not experience any problems with my Ross Reels depsite submeging them fairly often. I believe the LTs like the Momentums are non-sealed drags. I have dropped mine in flats sand and mud. I haven't had a problem with getting crap between the drag discs, but did get stuff in the opening for the clutch dogs. I simply stuck the reel in the water and swished it around, and the mud came right out with no after effects.

If you want the sealed drag go with the Nautilus, otherwise try them out and go with whichever one you like.

P.S. Patton1775 that sounds like clutch dog problem if the reel was simply freespooling. Those are usually easy to fix.

Yeah crash thats exactly what I couldnt figure out about the problem, the clutch dogs were all intact and looked as if they were not damaged in any way. It was very mysterious but like I said Ross is a great company so I wasnt too disapointed.

thanks guys, im definately going with a nautilus, probably either the fw7+ or ccf8, just waiting to see what they have hangin around and the cost is before i decide, i think either one will be good for just about anything im going to use it for

View PostYeah crash thats exactly what I couldnt figure out about the problem, the clutch dogs were all intact and looked as if they were not damaged in any way.

Yeah, I was thinking that the expansion of the ice may have popped the back end of the clutch dog springs loose from whatever they rest against. I have seen that in some other reels. The dogs are intact and in the right place, the springs just work in the wrong direction or not at all. I couldn't get hold of the schematics to see if it might happen on your reel though.

I have a Nautilus 12T and I have no complaints. I use it in the surf and it gets wet all of the time. I just give it a quick rinse when I get home and it is like new after 1 1/2 seasons.

I've been fishing Nautilus Reel's for 3 season's now & have not had any problem's. I've put them to the test w/Big Jack's, Shark's,King Mackrel & alot of Albie's. Just rinse them off when your done. I was just @ there factory on tuesday & Kristen & his crew are great people. They now have a bigger handle & I had them put them on my CCF10's.