Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HardyG

What is a good mattress?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Gang,

I am shopping for a new mattress and would appreciate it if anyone could chime in. Two years ago I bought a supposedly top of the line serta mattress and box spring from "the mattress professionals". It had "no flip technology". Well, it has developed two enormous depressions in it which make sleeping on it impossible. They won't replace it because the warranty has more fine print than a mortgage. Ok, there goes $1500 down the drain. Has anyone had a mattress that you have been pleased with? The internet is lighting up with stories of name-brand mattresses that cr@p out after a year or so. I'm actually thinking about a water bed with individual tubes....heck, water is water is water so the thing can't wear out unless/until a tube springs a leak. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

sleep number...... best money I ever spent on a mattress. The wife loves it too... no more waking up when she tosses and turns all night, because it has 2 separate chambers. I get to adjust my side to the appropriate firmness for me. I believe 2o yr warranty. They are a bit costly, but if I can sleep comfortably, not a big deal.....

i'm surprised to hear serta won't honor what sounds like an obvious warranty issue...i thought all the "S" brands (serta, simmons, sealy) had good warranties...i bought a simmons a couple of years back and its like sleeping on a cloud...its one step below their "black label" line, paid $1800 for it...

When I was working on the Golden Gate years ago...I was several hundred feet above the water, a co worker left a rivet laying on a girder and I didn't see it.I stepped on it, and lost my balance, and wasn't tied off.As I was falling, I thought...this is it..my life flashed before me.As luck would have it, there was a barge with a load of Sealy posturpedics going by.Since that day...I've been sold on them.beers.gif

Latex foam is good stuff.

Went shopping for a new matress 2 years ago, lay on all of them in the store, and the latex foam was the one. We both almost fell asleep on it there in the showroom.

Downside to foam... you don't figure this out until it's home and July. They are hot if you are hot natured. You sink down into one more than a coil matress, and that wraps you up and causes heat retention.

Warm in winter... and warm in summer.

We've gone through three mattresses in ten years, Tempurpedic, Serta, Simmons, KingsDown. Top of the line, thousands of dollars each and they all suck. We have two really good air mattress we keep for company we get often and since my back surgery sometimes I cant sleep so my wife says try the air mattress. She tried it a few times and said it was the best rest she's had of all the mattresses we've bought. Well, I'm thinking of getting a Sleep Number now.

Go try one in the late evening at a store and lay on one for a couple of hours before buying anything. But I'm leaning towards the air bed.

I agree with the sleep number. You can adjust it so its firm or change it to be a bit softer. Great to read a book in as it sits you up or you can raise your legs and it feels like your in a hammock!