Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BretABaker

Panama Billfish Bonanza!!!

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I know I've posted a lot of tuna, grouper and various snapper pictures, but as many of you may know, Panama is renowned for the billfishing, especially massive black marlin!

Typical method for catching is live trolling skipjack and bonito.....watching the bonito getting nervous is really exciting, since its normally followed up by a drag burning run!

How about some nice Pacific Sails??

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

DSC_1801.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

Incredible Marlin Fishing!!!

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_1222.jpg

DSC_1277.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_4812-1.jpg

good deal Ill be back in panama in 3 weeks smile.gif got into some blacks, blues and sails there last year.....hope to do the same and add some roosters in this time. this time were going on the exact moonphase that produces, last year the very end of our trip was the start of the right moon and it also when we saw the blacks and blues

View Postyeah on my next trip i want to do a day or two of inshore popping/jigging only. gotta get that rooster smile.gif

good luck on your trip!

thnaks, Ive been chasing that rooster for 12 yrs now. No luck yet. At least hooked one last time, this time need to land it. We clobbered, jack cravalle, amber jack etc but not the elisive rooster not so much lol.....

beauty of panama is you can go for rooster early AM then when that slacks off about 10am when the sun gets high you run 8 miles and catch marlins sails etc smile.gif talk about a paradise.

View Postyeah, exactly.

early january last year was the hot time it seemed, which is one reason thats when im going this time. roosters on poppers and plugs, it looked awesome.

yeah its pretty cool no doubt. January is the hot time for many things there. My next trip whenever that will be will be then if i can talk da wife into it.

View Postyep, stella and OTI jigging rod smile.gif

When I first fished the Stella SW and later reviewed it, I did say it was going to change big game fishing as we knew it and replace most conventionals. But, holy smokes! This is one REALLY big ass fish biggrin.gif Congratulations icon14.gif I envy you smile.gif

That is one impressive marlin on a spinner I'm guessing from the circle that you pitched her a bait? It's a tough perspective in the pic but she looks like she topped 300 easy, maybe 500 if she's as fat as she looks... Those sails look like they are eating especially well fed also, some have to be pushing triple digits. Need a deckhand? I can fly out tomorrow...wink.gif