Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paladin

Stripers off the coast

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know (or have experience) how far out stripers have been caught/seen on the west coast? Do they range way out to sea or stay relatively tight to the beach?

View PostDoes anyone know (or have experience) how far out stripers have been caught/seen on the west coast? Do they range way out to sea or stay relatively tight to the beach?

I know for sure they have been found at the Farlones and other outside spots. Back east the are caught regularly in Federal waters. Can you cast that far?wink.gif

They will go where water temps and food allow them to go.

That makes sense. They'll follow the bait. I wonder if the farallones are attractive because of structure and a stopping off point or are they freewheeling around deep into the pacific?

They are probably there because of the food chain. Bass will go where the food is. Just like Winch said you can find them miles and miles out to sea back east.

You know I have never given that any thought, but in all the years I have spent salmon fishing, mooching a bait, I have never hooked a striper away from the beach.

View PostYou know I have never given that any thought, but in all the years I have spent salmon fishing, mooching a bait, I have never hooked a striper away from the beach.

Just shows you that Different species feed at different depths of the water column and how they feed. I fish for stripers in the surf but have never had a halibut grab a surface lure. Yet if I throw a jig and keep it near the bottom I have a very good chance in many places.

Same principal for salmon, I throw surface lures and have only caught two salmon on them. Yet, I have hooked both throwing underwater lures at the same time. Throw a hair raiser with a tail I rarely hook a salmon, put a fillet on the end of that hair raiser and I hook mostly salmon.

The Pacifica pier same thing for every bass that would get hooked on an anchovy under the bobber a 1000 salmon would be caught.

White sea bass and stripers same thing. I fish spots where white seabass feed but I have never even hooked one while fishing for stripers.

View Post. I fish spots where white seabass feed but I have never even hooked one while fishing for stripers.

He he he, I know guys who have hooked both stripers and WSB this year and last year . Only thing, they were using live bait. wink.gif