Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sageguy

Cleaning Shingled House @ Cape Cod

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Guys,

Is this something you just powerwash?????

If you know the Cape, you know the condition of the shingles, look like arse. Someone recommended spraying with bleach, letting it set and then rinsing with a hose..................any tips appreciated.

View PostWhats on the shingles; Mold, dirt, leaf debris? What are the shingled made of; wood, asphalt, etc.?You have to be careful pressure washing shingles.

Wood shingles, some just look dirty, some have black spotting, one side of the house that gets minimal sun, theys be green.biggrin.gif

I have clear vertical grain on my house and I am in the process of cleaning that,PIA,that said,I am using jomax,bleach and water,if you go to homies and by the jomax the directions are on the back on how to mix it,do yourself a favor if you think you have enough make more,I have been using a garden sprayer to spray it on,start on the bottom and work your way up,I would be hesitant to use a powerwasher on wood shingles though,how about looking into hiring a pressure washing co to clean your house,here is a motto to live by,"if it isn't steam it isn't clean",hope that helps out,matt

When you finally figure out how to clean these shingles, you might want to seal them. I'm not an expert on this subject ( I know thats hard to believe ) so you might wanna check Google or something.

I don't get it...for 250 years white cedar's have been used on CAPE homes, everyone couldn't wait till the ugly new color faded into grey...now all the not so natives think they need cleaning back to new,"I don't get" powerwashing/bleach kills the shingles,cut's the life span down by washing out all the natural oils right out...then in a few months their back to grey again.All you've done is cost yourself money all for not and find you'll have to reside before it's time.

View PostI don't get it...for 250 years white cedar's have been used on CAPE homes, everyone couldn't wait till the ugly new color faded into grey...now all the not so natives think they need cleaning back to new,"I don't get" powerwashing/bleach kills the shingles,cut's the life span down by washing out all the natural oils right out...then in a few months their back to grey again.All you've done is cost yourself money all for not and find you'll have to reside before it's time.

If they were gray, that would be fine, they look like ****e.....literally. Lots of black on the bottom edges. IN all honesty, they should probably be replaced, trying to pull a couple more summers out of them.

it's your call..your home....bleach/liquid joy mix in a pump sprayer as other's have stated, from the bottom up..but before you do...soak all bushes and grass next to the house first with fresh water, otherwise you'll kill or have very white blotchy plants....it's only mold on the shingles,bleach will kill it..the joy will help the mix stick on longer giving it time to work.After your done rinsing the shingles off...soak the ground with fresh water again to flush out the soap/bleach mix so your bushes don't suck it up.

View PostI don't get it...for 250 years white cedar's have been used on CAPE homes, everyone couldn't wait till the ugly new color faded into grey...now all the not so natives think they need cleaning back to new,"I don't get" powerwashing/bleach kills the shingles,cut's the life span down by washing out all the natural oils right out...then in a few months their back to grey again.All you've done is cost yourself money all for not and find you'll have to reside before it's time.

once you get out of salt spray and good air drainage, they get funky pretty fast

Cedar shakes wear fast on the weather side. Wet, dry causes them to wear thin and curl unless they are kept pliable. You need to clean and stain often if you want to keep them looking nice. Cedar looks good but is a PITA.

Vinylsmile.gif