Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robert Williams

An Australian on Socialized Healthcare.

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

This is the straight dope from a straight shooting customer of mine that's lived in Australia his whole life:

Hi,

Tell you something about "free" health care, we have it here and have since 1972, it doesn't work! The cost is so high that the government cant afford to fund it without raising taxes beyond what the people can pay, with out private medical insurance you would die waiting for treatment, the waiting lists for a simple operation is years long, the only time you can get quick service is if you look like you will die on the spot. To protect themselves they have passed a raft of legislation that bans almost any activity where you may injure yourself as they will be paying for it, for example, fireworks banned, trying to ban all guns, speed limits squeezed down to crawling pace, seat belts compulsory, not allowed to use any weapon of any kind for personal defence ( if you injure the criminal the gov would have to pay for it) almost all personal freedom has gone, everything now licensed or regulated in some way always with fines applying for breaking them.

The sheeple are always sold these laws on the grounds ' it's for your safety" it's for women's safety" 'children safety, it's for the good of the community, it's in the public interest, or some other bit crap but it all comes back to no freedom and high cost.

Allan

It is sad to see such a great country as Austrailia go completely down the crapper. Used to be a country full of tough, free people. Now....not so much. It's like a French Island.

View Post...customer of mine...

Been meaning to mention Robert, they're all works of art, but the abalone with the wave filework is incredible.

As for your mate:

does-not-support-agenda-must-be-malcontent.

View PostBeen meaning to mention Robert, they're all works of art, but the abalone with the wave filework is incredible.

As for your mate:

He's probably a gun-toting, kangeroo killing, dingo loving, Aussie redneck.

I actually used to dream of moving to Austrailia until I found out it's impossible to move there as they have super strict immigration laws.

Heh..imagine that?

View PostBeen meaning to mention Robert, they're all works of art, but the abalone with the wave filework is incredible.

As for your mate:

The guy who got that razor seemed to like it a lot, too. biggrin.gif Best of all, he's a soldier back in the states after serving us in the Middle East. smile.gif I made sure he got a good deal because military pay isn't all that.

I thought their system (called Medicare) was instituted in 1984.

I do know it is a mish mash of state/fed, private and public entities (Go one way or the other I say, this is one issue where a compromise is bound to be nuts).

It (Medicare) is paid for with a 1.5% tax on income. ($750.00/year for someone and his or her fasmily earning 50k a year).

View PostAustralia spends 8.5% of GDP on healthcare, we spend 15.2% of GDP. Maybe your customer can shoot straight, but how's his math?

He's good with math. Probably not quite so slick with statistics and how to leverage them for the sake of political propoganda. He wasn't trying to swing my political view one way or another because he couldn't care less about that. He lives in Australia, you know.

I'll bet if we made everyone wait for months or years for medical procedures, severely cut back on testing and had cutoff ages for certain treatment and procedures we could get our spending on healthcare under 10 percent, too and we could do it maybe even without doubling our taxes - maybe just a 25 or 50 percent increase.

View PostHe's good with math. Probably not quite so slick with statistics and how to leverage them for the sake of political propoganda. He wasn't trying to swing my political view one way or another because he couldn't care less about that. He lives in Australia, you know.

I'll bet if we made everyone wait for months or years for medical procedures, severely cut back on testing and had cutoff ages for certain treatment and procedures we could get our spending on healthcare under 10 percent, too and we could do it maybe even without doubling our taxes - maybe just a 25 or 50 percent increase.

I bet if we kill the baby boomers off as quickly as possible, via witholding medical treatment, we could get the cost down too. Statistically, the old folks are going to be a real pain in the butt via medical expenses, so maybe it would be more convenient if they just died.smile.gif

View PostYet Australians somehow manage to live longer and have a lower infant mortality rate. Your friend is a very reliable source though I'm sure.

Yep. Probably because they don't have enough money left after taxes for junk food and cigarettes and crack. No crack; no crack babies. And thank you for acknowledging the reliability of my source. He is, indeed, a very honest and straight talking guy.

I've heard similiar stories from Autralians and some English aquaintances.

I have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo but what irks me is the lack of competetion in many areas between insurance companies.

Here in eastern MA it's pretty competetive but not the rest of the state. There are plenty of areas were there is little to no competetion.

We do know that the insurance industry can be very corrupt. It was only a few years ago that the bid rigging and collusion in the commerical insurance space was exposed. I don't believe for a minute that some of that same stuff hasn't gone on in healthcare.

I don't belive a public option is the best way to encourage competetion. Perhaps better regulations or better yet enforecement of existing regs could break up some of the monopolotic behavior that leads to higher costs.

yeah, tying infant mortality rate and average age is a bit misleading, that assumes that availability of healthcare is the primary supporting factor.

funny story: my sister went there and noticed that there are warning signs everywhere warning of danger, watch out for thorny bushes, watch out for jellyfish, etc... When a local asked why don't we have such signs in the U.S. she said "We kill everything that can hurt us"

View Post funny story: my sister went there and noticed that there are warning signs everywhere warning of danger, watch out for thorny bushes, watch out for jellyfish, etc... When a local asked why don't we have such signs in the U.S. she said "We kill everything that can hurt us"

Go to anywhere there's Portugese Man O War, there's signs everywhere.

Lets not forget the US's favorite "don't do this don't do that don't look at the sand or plovers funny" signs everywhere.