Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Garden Pics 07/20/09

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Well, the heat and humidity the last 10-14 days has helped us up here a bit, and things are starting to look at least somewhat better than my last picture post. Hopefully, the trend will continue.

The summer and winter squash, doing better with blossoms, but I don't see any fruit set yet.....

The nasturtiums are doing okay, nd will hopefully take off and start to bloom for flowers for our salad.....

The peas are all but spent, which is typical for this time of year. Have a few more I need to pick, and then I will rip them out and re-sow for a fall harvest.......

The cucs are just eh.......

And have a couple fruit about this size, but cucs are strange, and they can grow a whole lot in just a few days....

Bush beans (Provider) that were sowed about 2 weeks ago in the bed that the spring spinach was are doing well....

And the leeks look good, need to have some more soil/compost spread around them within the next few days....

Most of the peppers that I worried about insect damage earlier have mostly come back and are looking better, starting to blossom and some even setting fruit....

But there are a few that still are suffering......

Most of the tomatoes are doing better and starting to blossom....

Although only one of thirty has set some decent sized fruit.....

And then there are a few others that are kinda lame and spindley.....

Surprisingly, even with all the cool damp weather, there has been very little early blight, which looks like this.

The small amount I have can be controlled with a milk/baking soda spray later this week, once the rain tomorrow is over...

Some of the lettuce that is interplanted between the tomatoes.....

And a just another pic.........

More to come later in the week.....

Glad you starting to see some results Steve. I'm afraid I'm going to have the opposite problem down here with to much stuff. Maybe I should send you a care package. cwm27.gif

Here's some pictures I took of mine. Like I said everything is growing good. Already got like 5 or 6 cucumbers, probally about 10 or 11 banana peppers and there are about 20 or so jelepenos ready to be picked, about 5 bell peppers and 2 egg plant. Only 3 tomatos so far though.

View PostYou guys have some awesome gardens, I am super jelous. Wish i had that kind of space.

Sometimes you just have to improvise. Thats the first year for that garden. Before that my mom just planted the tomato and pepper plants in big pots or along the side of the house. I kinda feel bad for my dad. Since I've moved back home he's been out numbered on just about eveything my mom wants to do. cwm27.gif

Nothing in the way of miracle grow or any fertilizer was used in my garden. The ground itself is very fertile though. The whole neighborhood use to be a cornfield.

Mine continues to crank right along - the chore today was putting extensions on my 8 foot stakes - they are now 12 feet tall cwm31.gif

There are 2 Super Sweet 100 plants that are over 9 feet tall . . . most of the others are 7 to 8. Lot's of fruit starting

The peppers and cukes are doing OK too.

View PostYou can cut the tops of them. I always find I get better quality tomatoes when I do.

Yeah, if they are getting that tall already, pinch out the center of the main stem and let some of the lower suckers grow out.

View PostYeah, if they are getting that tall already, pinch out the center of the main stem and let some of the lower suckers grow out.

What fun would that be biggrin.gif

Besides, then I'd lose my bet with my neighbor that I cant grow one 10 feet tall (he is so going to lose!). We made the bet about a month ago