Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sparky

Gin and Tonic

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

i have come around on these things. previously, my summer cocktail was Mount Gay rum and tonic, but there's something about a G&T that is just right.

My liver is on a vacation, so perhaps it'll be meeting one of these concoctions soon.

View PostI picked up a bottle of tangeray (Saphire is my go to) for KoQapolaooza, but the Gosslings Dark Rum was the hit that day.

Since then I've been making amends for it going unopened. beers.gif

Goslings with a wedge of lime= Sundowner, the official after hours beverage of my reenacting unit.

over the weekend someone said that mosquitos hate tonic and that drinking gin and tonics will keep them away.

I took her advice and ignored the voice in my head that pondered the question; wouldn't they have to bite you first to know you are full of tonic?

Quinine (US: /ˈkwaɪnaɪn/, UK: /kwɪˈniːn, ˈkwɪniːn/) is a natural white crystalline alkaloid having antipyretic (fever-reducing), antimalarial, analgesic (painkilling), and anti-inflammatory properties and a bitter taste. It is a stereoisomer of quinidine.

Quinine was the first effective treatment for malaria caused by Plasmodium falciparum, appearing in therapeutics in the 17th century. It remained the antimalarial drug of choice until the 1940s, when other drugs replaced it. Since then, many effective antimalarials have been introduced, although quinine is still used to treat the disease in certain critical situations. Quinine is available with a prescription in the United States and over-the-counter, in very small quantities, in tonic water. Quinine is also used to treat lupus, nocturnal leg cramps and arthritis, and there have been attempts (with limited success) to treat prion diseases.

Originally discovered by the Quechua Indians of Peru, the bark of the cinchona tree was first brought to Europe by the Jesuits.

View PostI picked up a bottle of tangeray (Saphire is my go to) for KoQapolaooza, but the Gosslings Dark Rum was the hit that day.

Since then I've been making amends for it going unopened. beers.gif

Tanqueray 10 brought me back to Gin.

Made a good one the other night:

rinsed glass in vermouth - dumped out vermouth - let glass stand.

shook T-10 with crushed ice, squeeze of lime - poured into glass.

twist of lime peel - perfect!

tonic is yummy,

Tonic is sugar water.upck.gif

gin martini is vile.

No such thing as a gin martini. And hold the olives.

A martini - a true martini - is made with gin.

All others are ____ martini, gibson, manhattan, cosmopolitan etc...

I daink Gin in college.....but then one fateful night....I apparently shrank my brain to the size of a walnut and it rattled around inside my skull for two days......the absolute worst headache ever............never touched it again

View PostQuinine ... and there have been attempts (with limited success) to treat prion diseases.

so a G&T while eating a steak in your backyard in the summer means no malaria and no mad cow?