Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OldJohn

The Lady and the Striper

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Here's a good, itchy pre-season question....

Some years back, while sufcasting from Nauset Beach one evening with friends, we were all up and down the beach casting our brains out while my non-fishing wife dubbed around with a little ten-pound spinning outfit in front of the truck. She, of course, hooked and landed a 48" Large, a fish that I've yet to beat and for which I've never forgiven her (well, almost but not completely).

My question is this. I know in Atlantic salmon camps that duffer women--the ones left to thier own devices back at the lodge during the fishing day--are notorious for catching the week's or season's biggest salmon in Home Pool back at the lodge. This has happened so often that somebody actually wrote about about it, something to the effect of big fish somehow sensing that it's a newbie female trying to catch them.

Do duffer ladies get a disproportionate share of big bass?

(Gawd, I hope not!) smile.gif --OJ

It's not a bass but..............

My wife only went freshwater fishing with me once. We took my boat out onto Lake Mercer to look for crappie and bass. I made a quick drop next to the ramp that goes down from the high patio down to the floating dock. Baited her up with a grass shrimp and sat dawn to bait my own rig.

My butt no sooner hit the seat when she caught one of the biggest crappie I've ever seen from that lake. I very weakly congratulated her, rebaited her hook and attempted to sit down again. The instant I sat down her rod tip dipped HARD towards the water. She lifted the tip and the drag on the little Abu Garcia pushbutton reel started to grind (that's the sound they make). She fought this fish for almost 20 minutes. A big crowd of people was lining up on the ramp above to watch. The fish had pulled the boat under the ramp and back again when all of a sudden with a loud pop and a collective moan from the crowd the line went slack.

My wife began reeling the line back in when it jerked tight and started running again (seems the dingbat had hit the button on the reel, popping it into free-spool). The crowd went nuts cheering. She finally gets it up to the boat and I lip a struggling 8 and ¾ lb. channel cat. As I pulled it into the boat, over the cheering and applause I heard a woman above telling her friend that she never realized how exciting fishing could be.

Not including salmon, I have yet to catch a larger freshwater fish or a bigger crappie. Oh yea, and that was the LAST time she went fishing with me!

------------------

"Any time a man ain't fishin' he's fritterin' away his life." - Rancid Crabtree

If I'm not mistaken the biggest fish I heard about getting caught last year was some lady on a head boat in Delaware Bay with a 63 lb bass.First one she ever caught.All downhill from there I guess.