Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Mairo

Anyone ever get shocked by a stargazer?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

View Posthow do you handle them?

Best way is to "lip em" while licking them on the head biggrin.gif

I still have a deal going with a fishin buddy........ next time he catches one when we are fishin together...... if he lips it, I'll lick it (the gazer that is).

It's not that bad at all. It sucks if you don't expect it though. Feels like a 9 volt battery feels when you lick it. Imagine that but on your hand. It doesn't really hurt, it's just really annoying. Just grab them with a rag. They are slimmy anyway

View PostBest way is to "lip em" while licking them on the head biggrin.gif

I still have a deal going with a fishin buddy........ next time he catches one when we are fishin together...... if he lips it, I'll lick it (the gazer that is).

Invite me to this.

View PostBest way is to "lip em" while licking them on the head biggrin.gif

Please make a video of this.

I agree. A video is a must.

Now, would it hurt worse if you are wearing electrostatic dissapating shoes because you would not be grounded??? Or would going barefoot on wet sand provide the full effect? Any electricians out there?

I measured it once with my multi tester. I got anywhere between 2 and 6 volts. Since the ocean water has warmed up a lot in the last 40 years, these fish have expanded their range. A study done in 1961 revealed their northern most range in the state of Delaware. It's also probably the reason we don't have anymore whiting around here. They still get them up north despite over fishing

I stepped on one visiting a Florida beach as a teenager once. When I told me parents I stepped on something that shoked me they told me that it wasn't possible, now I know what it was.

Lol, how big do these get?

We rented a skiff some 5 years ago down from Randy and my boy caught one. We didn't know what the hell is was. Guy pulls up and says it's electric, thought he was joking. Wasn't big, maybe the size of a puffer fish I reckon 

i have caught them up to about 5 or 6 pounds.

the shock i got from the first one i caught didn't really hurt, just kind of a wtf was that feeling.

Caught one last year while fluking in moco. 

I learned later that they are supposed to be best eating fish around.  This guy went back. 

09295BAC-9140-474D-8DE0-CC5C72D6BA0E.jpeg

That's the only time I've caught them - while fluking from the beach or rocks.  If they're able to dig back into the sand, they feel like they're 20lbs until they break free. 

Never even thought of eating them....I guess you could get a couple of fillets behind their pectoral fins, but they're all head so it never seemed worth the bother.