Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Mairo

Anyone ever get shocked by a stargazer?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I got one on our boat wreck fishing last year. Thing had to be 13-15#'s. Probably could have jump started an engine with him If it was needed...lol

 

Never touched one and got shocked though. Maybe we can find that kid who liked licking 9 volt batteries to give it a trycwm40.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have caught a couple over the years. Before I heard the "shock" idea I did just grab them around the top of the head to get the hook out. I have never been shocked. Figured I caught maybe 15 the last 5 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
View PostIt's not just the shock ability. They have a nasty set of teeth too.

 

 

I don't know if they have teeth or not. They have skin across the mouth that looks like teeth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
View PostI don't know if they have teeth or not. They have skin across the mouth that looks like teeth.

 

 

they got little stubbies like a bass.

 

i'm not gonna feed ya BS like sooo many of you jersey boys like to do. such a shame really, telling people who don't know to kiss them. they should discharge them on your scrotum. i use a dry pair of those rubber coated work gloves when i catch one. and yes they really are good eats. nice filet's with no side bones like robins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
View Postthey got little stubbies like a bass.

 

i'm not gonna feed ya BS like sooo many of you jersey boys like to do. such a shame really, telling people who don't know to kiss them. they should discharge them on your scrotum. i use a dry pair of those rubber coated work gloves when i catch one. and yes they really are good eats. nice filet's with no side bones like robins.

 

 

If you are barefooted, you can kiss them on the head for good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you look at them, there is a diamond like region, right in the middle of their head. That is the only region that can shock you, and the fish must also be wet. I have been shocked about a dozen times by them. It doesn't really hurt, it's more of a tingle that runs up to about your elbow. Keep them dry, and don't touch the diamond on his head, you will be fine. Also, as stated, they do not ACTUALLY have teeth. They have a "rough" lip like a regular SMALL river catfish, or like a bass, maybe even finer than a bass. Their gums are meant to look like teeth, I can only guess as a way of warning something that might be a predator to stay away.

 

Wonder if they use this as some form of bait for their prey? Like that snapping turtle that has the little worm-like thing on his tongue to make fish think it is a worm?

 

 

OOOOh, they also croak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first one I ever caught was huge. I got it on a live mullet on an inlet jetty. Avoiding a breaker my hand grabbed the buggers head and it felt like I whacked my funny bone. I looked around to see who hit me before the lightbulb cwm40.gif turned on. I also thought they had a mouthful of teeth at that point. Later I learned better as I went on a stargazer rampage a few years back. No matter what, where or when I tossed anything I caught them. 50+ one week in the SFZ. I think we reached mutual admiration once we got on a first name basis wink.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.