Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishing17402

First time going for distance with my First abu 6500 mag elite

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Well I went down to the football field behind my house on saturday with a 9ft tica and a 10ft tica (10 ft is not a casting but a spinning reel) With the 9 ft I was consistantly casting 100 to 105 yards with a three ounce pyramid sinker attached. With the 10ft I had a 4 ounce pyramid and maxed out at about 130 to 135 yds. I was pretty happy with the results especially using a medium grade rod and one was a spinning rod I thought I would mess around with. Also happy do to the fact that the reel is a level wind and I have a feeling the without it I may be able to get even more distance. I was wondering what I could do to max this reel out. I know there are something you can do with the cog wheel. I would like to add a clicker on one side plate I have ordered for bait fishing. Any suggestions would be great. I have searched this site and googled it also but I am so unfamiliar with conventionals and pimping them out it is hard to get a good start. I fished them for a long time just never really paid that much attention other than making sure I don't end up with a birds nest in my hand. Thanks for the help! Also I was thinking about a 10'6 or 11' rod. Where should I point my focus without breaking the bank.

I put a bearing levelwind kit(27$) in mine and picked up some yards. I have been throwing that real for 2 years and feel I get the most distance by increasing the mag( 4-7)and reducing the spool tension (some spool knock).

You can always check out Mike's Reel Repair, but it can get pricey with the current value of the dollar compared to over the border. I would go for the dual bearing at the worm gear with the idler cog bearing. In addition, I would definitely add in the ceramic pawl. I think Mike throws in the upgraded line guide when you buy the dual bearing worm gear. As for the clicker I am sure that slide mag with be in the way if I remember right.

It alread has the dual bearings i just need to upgrade the Cog wheel. I just ordered stuff from mike. It is ashame I have a ton of Canadian money laying around from being up there and also just picking up in loose change. I would love to know where I would be able to cash that in at.