Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
john f

need advice for another good surf rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I was new to this forum last year. I got a lot of good advice and have been out on the south shore of long island last fall and a few times this year. I got a Tsunami Trophy 10' rod (2 piece) last year. I have been using a vintage Garcia Mitchell 302 salt water reel with 15 lb. mono. Today I was casting a 10oz sinker with a clam. I was probably casting about 50 yards into a head wind today. I was wondering if a longer rod would help me get more distance on my casts. What are the advantages (or disadvantages) of an 11' or a 12' surf rod? Or would a different reel or type of line make a difference? Or any other techniques or helpful tips?

Any advice would be appreciated. If a longer or different brand of rod would achieve longer casts then please tell me what brand or type.

Thanks,

John

braided line will yield much better distance. a long casting spool on a daiwa emblem will also enhance your distance. also, a high end rod improves distance then you tsunami. i do a on the ground cast and i do see a much better improvement over the googan snap cast! biggrin.gif

For ten plus bait, you need a heaver rated for that. And for distance, with that weight? You probably are not going to do that much better. smile.gif

I have a couple of heavers by Pinnacle that are rated to nine. I was throwing six and bait this weekend with my son, and getting decent distance. Conventional style.smile.gif

View Postbraided line will yield much better distance. a long casting spool on a daiwa emblem will also enhance your distance. also, a high end rod improves distance then you tsunami. i do a on the ground cast and i do see a much better improvement over the googan snap cast! biggrin.gif

I guess I'm still a newbie. What are the differences between a "ground cast" and a "googan snap cast"? WHat sort of high end rod are you talking about?

Thanks,

John

Try searching YouTube for "off the ground cast" or "OTG" - there are some good videos out there (I liked one that Tommy Farmer has out there). I'm a noob to the surf, but working on the OTG has greatly improved my casting distance compared to the snap cast I used when I first started. The OTG allows you to smoothly load the rod (even the broomstick I'm using) so it can do the work of throwing your bait/lure way out there.

(I'm assuming that the googan snap cast refers to a two-handed adaptation of the overhead snap cast we all learned when we first started fishing).