Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
metaliczombi

walleye

7 posts in this topic

Here's an 'eye I caught today even though I tried everything to loose it. I had the rod in the holder and I look over and the rods bent. I think I am snagged so I pick it up and give it slack line by opening the bail since we are drifting. I start reeling and I am surprised the snag is moving. I get it close to the boat and it wraps the line around the bowmount. I lift the bowmount and give slack to unwind the line. Reel up the slack and it's still there. It was just under 5lbs. Also caught a few smallies on lead heads/grubs, largest going 2lbs. I found a spot in this lake I call the table top since it's not much bigger than that where I can catch multiple species and almost guarantee a fish everytime.

cannistear71909028.jpg

I let them go when they are this big. I've kept a couple this size or larger and for some reason the meat is a bit rubbery cooking it the way i do it. If it's 18" - 22", it's a meal.drool.gif Poor me, I have only caught one fish in that size range this year. The rest have been between 4.5-6lbs.

Nice catch. I totally agree on the bigger 'eyes, they are not too good. In fact, walleyes are not very good to me in warmer water, period. Nice that you didn't bring your knife and fork to the table top!smile.gif