Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
C W

Opinions wanted...

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Pure speculation requested here. I hooked into a fish I couldn't recognise by its fight. I realize this could have been anything. I have been fishing here all my life, caught about everything in these waters. But never experienced this.

Let me set this up with what I know as the facts.

This happened last weekend, just outside the mouth of the Connecticut river heading to Niantic. Water temps in the lo 60's. Incoming tide, onshore breeze. Calm, clear water. We had been fishing Fluke with excellent results. Many of the fish boated had guts FULL of good sized squid. We even caught one and had a couple more squid on up to the boat. Many "masses" or bait balls on the graph all day.

We came across some birds working some fish feeding. (Maybe 30-35' of water.) First assumption is always Bluefish or Stripers. Nothing really jumping out of the water and no "slap" noise you hear from a bunker. We did see some "flashes" from the feeding fish, but couldn't tell size or species. I grabbed my 7" Ugly Stick custom, MH fast taper casting rod, spooled with 40# PP on a Abu 7000 Big Game. I added a 8" steel leader and BRAND NEW, (I mean remove from package and put on the line.) med sized blue/white Atom.

First cast into the malay... FISH ON. No explosive surface strike, just a strong fish.... REALLY strong. The fish made three or four long 50-75 yard runs. These where powerful, fast runs. Some head shaking, but nothing like a blue fish but not as deliberate as a big cow striper. More like the raw power of a big shark, only FASTER. Reminiscent of a Bonita. I turned it twice, it ran just as fast directly at the boat. This fish was always in control, I never was able to say I stopped his run. He pulled drag at will. Entire fight was maybe 3-4 minutes. Now I have cough and landed big Stripers up to almost 60#. I have had a couple occurrences where a big fish spooled my line, while fishing bait. I assume shark as I could do nothing. It was a steady and deliberate pull until the line was gone. This was different... Then he was gone, hooks pulled free I guess. Lure examination showed one scratch where the front treble gouged the body. Not one other scratch on this lure!!!

What is your opinion on what I had on the line....

Thanks,

CW

I forgot to mention, two buddies on the boat with me threw countless Hopkins and Kastmaster spoons into the blitz with ZERO hookups or strikes. This was a fast moving school, we motored ahead of it, killed the engine and in minutes they where all around us.

None of us saw what the bait was.or the feeding fish was.

Its my opinion it was squid and large stripers feeding. From the lack of marks on my Atom. But something about the fight makes me question this.. Just curious on everyone's opinions...

CW

View PostSounds like a tuna. The best fight pound for pound in my opinion, and they taste great.

I was going to say tuna also, but changed my mind at the last second. I've hooked into a porpoise before and they always come to the surface after a brief dive to the bottom. So I'm changing my answer to tuna. The answer is:

TUNA

This is what my brother is telling me as well.... What about the cold water? generally we only see them in the sound when the temps get into the upper 70's....

CW

View PostThis is what my brother is telling me as well.... What about the cold water? generally we only see them in the sound when the temps get into the upper 70's....

CW

Could be a rogue.( 20-60 lbs.) What you are describing sounds like the tunas I have wrangled many times before. Once they take the bait they like to dive hard to the bottom, rest for a minute, then run hard again. If you know how deep the water is, and you know how much line they've taken, and those 2 numbers are equal, then its possible you got a tuna.

View PostThis is what my brother is telling me as well.... What about the cold water? generally we only see them in the sound when the temps get into the upper 70's....

CW

School bluefin will come into waters in the low 60s. A fish in the 30s would pull you all over the place like that.

Fun, ain't itcwm27.gifsmile.gif

What weight-class fish would you say. If you are using 40# pp and a big stiff rod, on a 7000, and it was doing ANYTHING it wanted with you, i'd also say TUNA. I would also say it could have been a bonita, or albie. I don't particularly know how big albies get, but if they get to the 20# class, that easily could have done it.

Stripers won't run that fast. Bluefish love side-to-side, but rarely go in to out. Albies and Bonita will make screaming fast lunges, but when targeting them you are usually using lighter tackle. Both bonita and albies run in FAST-moving pods. I assume schoolie tuna might as well.

A big teller, from what I can tell when they feed, they "fin" a lot. I don't know if it was calm enough, but could you see them finning? If you saw finning, but no busting, it was likely a tuna.

View PostYou caught a mermaid...tongue.gif

Let that be me.I dont think it was a stingray as they have a slow steady pull or a shark as the other fish would have scattered.

View Posti almost got spooled by a 300 lb loggerhead TURTLE. your description of what happened sounds familiar. or the classic TUNA.

cwm27.gifAwww man, did you see it up close?

Two seasons back my friends fought a manta ray for about 90 minutes at the edge. They thought they caught the swordfish of their dreams.

After getting their butts kicked, the ray ran under the boat, and the young guy on the rod did not know to run around the transom and shove the rod in the water to get the line around the other side of the hull, so the ray broke off. The crew was heartbroken, but saw color and rushed to the far side to see what they had broken off. It was a manta estimated at 5-600 IIRC

Half an hour later they caught 3 80lb yellowfin tuna in a row. After getting punished by the ray, This was pretty roughcwm27.gif

Thanks for all the posts and opinions guys!!

I wanted to say Tuna from the start. Weather blue, yellow, big false albacore or big Bonita. But didn't know as I never saw anything. The fight was fast, strong, hard and long runs. I thought I had turned him, but now feel he just ran at the boat. Second time he ran at us he must have gotten a bit of slack and spit the hook.

The rod is a 7' MH Ugly Stick custom. It says something "Hernandez" on it. its a substantial rod, but by no means a brute. I would not choose it for cow stripers, or blues in the race. Its fine for avg sized stripers and blues. Works well for big blacks down deep as the feel is excellent.

CW