Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerseydave

Smokin Picnic

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Took these yesterday afternoon........ it's tonights dinner and is still sitting on the smoker but now it's in an aluminum pan, foiled up, gettin tasty and tender!

you smoke to temp, not to time. It could vary by 3-4 hours for the same size ham, depending on temp of both meat and smoker, also the fat content of each peice is different. The only one I did took 12 hours and then wrapped in a cooler for 2 more.

View Postclapping.gif how long does one of those take to do ? newbie smokr

I do mine a few different ways, and times vary accordingly, but lately I find the easiest way to do it without spending 2 days minding the smoker is like this........

I begin the process the afternoon before we plan on eating the meal.

I put the picnic on the smoker and smoke it for a minimum of 6 hours, I then cheat by taking it off the smoker and putting it in an aluminum pan along with a cup of liquid, sealing it tightly with foil, and putting it in the oven on warm (lowest setting on mine which just happens to be a convenient 190 degrees).

I'll let it go all night and most of the next morning in the oven, removing it shortly after noon, but leaving it in the covered pan until we are ready to eat........ I'll then pull it, add some sauce, toss a heap on a fresh kaiser....... and proceed to get messy!

If you were to do it on the smoker for the entirety of the process, the key is to cook it to an internal temp of 190-195.

It is generally believed that if you remove it at that time and wrap it tightly in foil for a couple of hours in a protected environment (cooler or such) to allow the slow evening out of the temp while resting that the tenderness, moisture, and flavor, are enhanced even more.

Dave

thanks JH and JD, I'm going to do anothr reg butt this week while my son's here, Il'll prob try the 6 hrs and oven method, and need to pick up a new thermom for the lidicon14.gif