Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
So Cal Surf Fisher

Spinning rod guides ....how many or how few?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

That may get the best responses from the rod building forum.

I build and test, and re-test and then tweak, add a guide, take one away untill it fits what I want.

When you see a rod with 4 guides, it is a tackle company or builder saving a buck. A million rods minus 3 guides @ $7.50 for all those guides is $750 mil

That is a heck of a lot of money.

My feeling? Build the rod correctly and sell it for $10 morecwm40.gif Hey, now there's an idea!

A conventional rod needs enough guides to keep the line from touching the grip or the blank when the rod is under heavy load and really bent deeply.

Builders bend their rods differently to test this. I bend mine really deeply like I am lifting a fish close to the boat, so I do not have a customer saw off a fish when they are landing it. For a surf rod, I do not expect someone to lift a fish directly below themselves, and if they did lift the rod like this, it would most likely break the tip of the rod. Ever hear the term "high sticking"?

A spinning rod needs enough guides to get the line to follow the curve of the blank nicely with no sharp angles in the line between the guides. If the angle becomes too sharp, it can bend the rod too tightly in that spot and cause it to snap there. An extra guide or two is not going to kill things, and is certainly better than 2-3 guides too few, but 4-5 guides too many begins to add too much weight to the blank (the rod shaft) and the rod starts to react sluggishly. With Fuji's New Guide Concept method of guide configuration and guide spacing, the rod will have more guides, and smaller guides out towards the tip. This takes care of the too few guide problem, and also removes the friction from line coiling through every guide on the rod. After the line reaches the fourth guide, the coils are pretty much gone, and the line is sailing out smoothly.

Google Fuji New Guide Concept, and have a look see. It will give you an idea about this theory. What we do as builders, is not quite what you will see, but it will definitely give you a feel for what modern rod building is doing for the angler, and it is a good thing.

well I used to build rods comercially in a tackle store we used alot of guides we tested alot of setups and found on a casting rod somewhere around i think 19 inches from the seat is a big stripper guide then put a tip on and start adding guides down the blank in incerments like from the stripper like 10 inches then 8 inches then 6 then 5 then 4 then 4 then 4 but go from a big stipper to like two sizes down then start going down to the next size down but dont go down all the way on the casting rod only go down to maybe a 1/4 inch size guide on the end and put like three of them in a row its better for casting i see to many factory rods going down so small it cant cast for crap and put the same size tip as the last three guides it will be alot better.

have you guys seen a twist guide rod we used to build them for shimano calcutta's mostly or penn mag reels it were the guides go around the blank like a tornado so when the line come off it wraps around the blank in a natural twisting motion instead of on top and it gives the rod better feel it also helps the rod from twisting motion and helps keep the handle straight

View Postwell I used to build rods comercially in a tackle store we used alot of guides we tested alot of setups and found on a casting rod somewhere around i think 19 inches from the seat is a big stripper guide then put a tip on and start adding guides down the blank in incerments like from the stripper like 10 inches then 8 inches then 6 then 5 then 4 then 4 then 4 but go from a big stipper to like two sizes down then start going down to the next size down but dont go down all the way on the casting rod only go down to maybe a 1/4 inch size guide on the end and put like three of them in a row its better for casting i see to many factory rods going down so small it cant cast for crap and put the same size tip as the last three guides it will be alot better.

have you guys seen a twist guide rod we used to build them for shimano calcutta's mostly or penn mag reels it were the guides go around the blank like a tornado so when the line come off it wraps around the blank in a natural twisting motion instead of on top and it gives the rod better feel it also helps the rod from twisting motion and helps keep the handle straight

The "Robert's wrap" is quite popular now, and has been dubbed the Spiral Wrap, or The Acid Wrap. It is a great thing for conventional rods. A couple guys tried it with surf rods and found it did not kill the distance too bad, but the effect was not all that noticeable IIRC.

I love it on rods up to 8' or so, and it sure does make it easier to use your tackle once under load.smile.gif