Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbadfisherman1011

21 foot CC sportscraft mariner

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

mariner is a bit cheaper motor, but still good. It's made by mercury, so should be fairly dependable. Maybe instead of a brass part, they used a plastic, or some comparison like that. In terms of the engine, should be dependable.

Boat, not sure.

I investigated the Mercury vs. Mariner thing a few years back to find out that they are exactly the SAME motor. The Mariner just has a different color cowl and midsection. It's for the boater who wanted some "flair" instead of the night black Mercury that we are all used to. Ever notice that Mariners are gray with blue or orange.

Now Force (made by Brunswick) is an inferior motor. They do use lesser quality parts on those.

Force is a good motor, had one for 21 years(a 1987 125 HP), never had a failure. Sold the boat with the motor on it last year to a Mercedes mechanic. He loves the boat. Only thing I ever repaced were spark plugs and water pump/thermostat. Its all about maintenance and treating it right.

I like to mix my own gas/oil. Never trusted oil injection. Have a new Optimax now so I have no choice, but the Force/Chrysler engines were simple and reliable as far as I am concerned.

well, force was first made by force if I understand correctly, and were not so good, as compared to other bullet-proof motors like OMC. Then chrysler bought them out, then mercury bought them out in the 90's. only improving every step of the way. Now from what I understand, because both mercury and force were owned by brunswick, as stated elsewhere, they modified the engines to NOT compete with eachother. like I said, may just replace a cast alum. part with plastic, or something like this. very rarely would these adjustments mean much.

Chrysler was first, Brunswick bought Chrysler, changed the name to Force. Later they adopted Mercury lower ends and other components and then stopped production totally. The 1986 was the last "white engine", 1987 started the blue series. The white engines were pure Chrysler Marine, but 1987-1989 were basically unchanged. After 1990, the hybrids began.

The 5 cylinder 150 HP was a train wreck. The 50/85/125 engines were all basically the same components with 2-4 cylinders depending. They were pretty solid. Unfortunately, many entry level, first time boat owners bought Bayliners with these engines and beat them to death. They got a bad reputation based on stupid owners.

Wasn't the original question about a boat?

I knew someone who had a Sportscraft 24 footer. I'm not sure if that's the boat you're asking about, but he had some major trouble with a wooden stringer coming loose. We had to tear the floor up to get at it and to re-glass the stringer to the hull. My impression was that they were mid-level boats, built to a price.

Best reagrds,

Irv

My first boat was an 18' S/Craft Mariner 1984 verry good starter boat, it ran fast with a 55 Mariner and was easy to trailer & launch. Mine only had carry on tanks I had 10 or 12 gallans under the leaning poast. I painted the bottom and kept it in salt water with out any problems. It is still around, I gave it to a friend, he doesn't use it though.

O'D