Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hairy Nosed Wombat

Daiwa vs Shimano line lay continued here

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

OK, appears i may have (accidently) diverted the ICAST Daiwa thread. So as suggested, we might continue the conversation here.

Firstly, i have a profound mistrust of Shimano marketing. Secondly, i just bought Pauley's Saltiga surf. But, before doing so i read a lot, and did come to the conclusion Shimano had the edge. But in doing so obviously, i also felt that it wasn't a huge difference. I was impressed with the images of line coming off the different spools and the underlying theories. But, ultimately what impressed me most were Dcasts posts. Putting new Shimano vs Daiwa, the Shimano does appear to hold an edge. It's hard to argue with this.

What we really need to settle this is some further Dcast-like testing. Similar Shimano vs Daiwa on same rod.

HPD, i hate to put pressure on you, but it seems you will soon be the owner of a Saltist, a Cedros and a Stradic. I would love to see a cast distance shootout on a long range lure casting rod, or better two. Please, please, pretty please.

What I would find interesting is how would the line come of the spool after it has been soaked in water.

I can see wet and fuzzy fireline, and broken in pp or suffix not responding well friction wise. Always being in contact with the spool lip. I would be like dragging a wet noodle over a pie plate.

Mike, the few times I used the Saltiga Surf was to see how far I can cast. Mounted on a 13 foot AFAW Surf with lowriders, I hit a football field and a half easily. That was on a 4 ounce bank sinker on the 30lbs Power Pro which you will get. So, regardless if those Shimano's do have an edge, The Saltiga Surf can hold it's own. You'll love it! wink.gif

I'm sure the Saltiga Surf will outcast anything but the likes of the Basia and Aero Technium. It's only going on a 10' rod so i doubted there would be any advantage with those reels. I didn't buy your reel by accident - it will be just absolutely perfect. It is easily the best spinner i will have owned and am very excited about it - i will have to look after it better than most of my reels! I mostly buy much cheaper, simpler reels and then smash them, fill them with water etc.

First off I loved the pics and the way the first thread started out.Good job.

Would it be easier to mention the reels that don't do well with braid rather than the ones that do good ?Penn Slammer does it do good ? Cabo PT's ?

It seems like everytime I go to buy a Penn, Diawa or Quantum I come home with a Shimano.Guess I have built up trust with them over the years.

I'm looking for a bigger reel right now ,considering the Slammer or Cabo just for something different.How do they handle braid , line lay ,casting distance and wind knots ?Thanks for your input in advanced.

Probably important to point out, the competition casting shimanos don't have any kind of propulsion lip. I suspect it doesn't offer any benefits with longer spools, and really is about geting the most out of the kind of hybrid spools that predominate these days, ditto ABS. It would be interesting to see a few daiwa ABS vs shimano aerowrap/propulsion shoot outs between direct competitors.

View PostProbably important to point out, the competition casting shimanos don't have any kind of propulsion lip. I suspect it doesn't offer any benefits with longer spools, and really is about geting the most out of the kind of hybrid spools that predominate these days, ditto ABS. It would be interesting to see a few daiwa ABS vs shimano aerowrap/propulsion shoot outs between direct competitors.

FYI, check Sergeant Slough's posts on long distance spinners, tall spools and line lay.