Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy29

Working for the Govt vs Private industry

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I currently work for the Govt and while I do some pretty neat things in my job I feel that my efforts are not rewarded enough due to buracracy. I work hard and I feel I am way underpaid. $49,000 a year five years experience and a Masters degree. Problem is for the most part I really enjoy what I do and I am a permanent employee. If I was to jump ship to a private company I wouldn't have the security, hours or do the things I like.

I like my Managers I think they are decent people but I feel they don't try to take care of their workers. I am not the first one there being burned.

I am really confused as to what I should do. I don't want to get a different job and then regret it later but maybe a new job would be better and I would be rewarded for hard work?

View Post Problem is for the most part I really enjoy what I do and I am a permanent employee. If I was to jump ship to a private company I wouldn't have the security, hours or do the things I like.

Pretty hard to trump all that, if that's what you're looking for...life is a compromise sometimes.

Change is change. If you have a family, then you gotta be sure you can support them. Gov't jobs are pretty secure. Private jobs may vaporize in an instant. I kow, I have been both in gov't and private jobs.

If you are ready to move on, the key is having enough resources to carry you for at least a year, meaning savings. Do your homework well, do not let anyone know you are looking for another job, work on the resume and job hunt seriously. If your co workers or boss find out you are looking for another job, then all your status and well being with the department will change overnight. Do not tell your wife, as she will mention it to her girlfriend, then it will be all over town. Once you have the new job in hand, then you can let everyone know.

If you are single, it is much easier to move on. Don't have to worry about uprooting the family.

Be aware that private industry also has its hazards, ladder climbers, back stabbers, and all of the do gooder folks that have only one thing on their agenda: Increasing their salary and status in the corporation at the expense of all others. At one of my jobs I worked my butt off and basically carried the department for the boss. Meanwhile he was taking credit for everything and polishing the big boss for the next promotion. His politics worked well, I was asked to leave the Co. and he moved on to a VP position.

Didn't know it was a govt job when I responded before. Seems the issue here is pay and recognition.

Tough decision. I work on the private side and have been out of work through partss of my career. I made a move one year ago and good thing. Everybody in my old dept was let go. Now I'm in a company fighting for its life. 1 week furlough/qtr, no more 401k contribution. I like the job and people so I hope they survive but I always have thoughts of being ready to move on when necessary.

Govt security, decent hours/holidays/vacation. Also, several pretax savings plans. The point is... You need to get an idea of actual work time vs. after tax salary and compare to similar private sector jobs.

You don't say anything about retirement or pension. Most govt. jobs include some sort of pension plan. As a younger guy you may be discounting this but it may look awful good in the years to come.

There is a reason I have stuck with the BS for so long. But it keeps getting piled higher and thicker to the point people are leaving. Management has no clue of why people have stopped working there and basically gave up. Im one of the few who are still trying as I want to get ahead. I am hopeful that it will get better but doubtful.

I sugest you speak to your supervisor about the problems and offer your solutions if you have any. You might actually get more than just a lecture out of the deal.

It sucks, big time. I've been in gov't for a long time and have seen it. Sometimes the situation won't change because the people that are part of the problem aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They're enjoying the same benefits as you. Could your union help (CSEA?), ...but don't be hopeful.

Is anything unethical going on? That's tough to work around as well and solutions are risky. Being pegged as a whistleblower isn't great.

Government organizations are big and very slow to change. It's part of the thing that gives you security. Rewards for good work just aren't usually part of the picture.

Good luck!

I'm a contractor for the Federal Govt...i work with many govt employees every day and some of my coworkers jumped ship to the government...they did it because the pay was good for a job where 1. job security 2. the pay is excellent and 3. you could be a lazy bum and still keep your job.

Working for a contractor has its risks but the rewards can be extremely high depending on what you make of it.

Your post wasnt specific GS rating?? what Govt product/project ??

Any possibility for lateral transfer to different code such as say in software dept for certain class Navy ships each ship type had a code section , i worked in FFG class and we had code 7 the guys in the DDG class had 5 or such.

In todays working society I would give deep thought to give up a pretty decent security Blanket and roll with the waves, i seen some damm good talented guys and some bluffers, azz wipes if you will , both sides of street

I worked for working for Civilain Contactors (DOD/NAV SEA)contractor worker is a good position how ever the company may be on a 5 year omni bus contract and lose the Bid at end of five years , now new company if you go to them Knows you need Job, Thus they can drop starting salary, vacation time and such, under current administartion we have in DC I would leave a contact worker cross street and hook up with Govt More Job security, as I have seen the Military have 2 years into project and say nope not what we want and shut down program and write off 30-40 million and move on.

Pay may be lower than what you expect ,put your time in do the work required be a loyal player,maintain health, retire when eligible.

If you retain/maintain your health you will recoup all the pay you feel you missed, i spent 30 years active duty with low pay that finally was catching up with civilain industry and now I have been retired for 22 years collecting 75% pay from last year pay scale and enjoy pay raises every year (COLA).

Grass always looks Greener across the road, It is however just as hard to cut.

Best of Luck in what ever Path You decide to Follow

Things are what they are. I would think Mgmt feel the same way, just guessing. I've never work in the gov't sector, but from what I've seen and heard, that is as good as it gets.

Put it out there. and see what comes back. Privates are all doing the "Corporate Restructuring" thing. Most of them anyway.

If you like what you are doing, than my friend, what's really going on? icon14.gif