Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rwalter7

Work boots

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

8 years ago I bought a pair of Timberland Pro boots for workin' around the place. I still have them but the soles are cracked so I don't wear them anymore when I'm dealing with the wet. They're great pair of boots still and except for the crack in the sole the uppers are still pretty much water proof. They were a tough boot to say the least. Since I had holes in the bottoms I figured why not get another pair of the same boot. What a big mistake. Somewhere in the last 8 years the quality went down hill. The leather is not as thick, they're flimsy. They state that they are waterproof but they absorb water like a sponge and are b*tch to lace up. I'm sorry I wasted my money.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good, sturdy, waterproof and comfy work boot. What do you guys suggest? I don't care about cost considering the boots I bought were over $100. Don't need steel toe or sole boots.

I would look at Wolverine. So far I absolutely heart.gif my boots and there customer service is excellent. I'm on my feet probably 6hrs a day climbing telephone poles or ladders and must say so far they are the most comforatable.

irish setter wingshooters 838

sold as waterfowl hunting boots, but trust me they are great for work.

truly waterproof and can be resoled.

I get the insulated ones for working outside in the winter and the regular ones for summer.

I am currently in the same position -great pair of timberlands that the sole wore through and getting wet, but the uppers are in great shape, plus i bought these at a mall in DC about 5 years ago and cannot find this same model anywhere.....i would probably buy another pair if they were stocked.

I've checked with the three cobblers/shore repair in this town....all tell me it cant be done(which i dont understand why not, even after they explain it to me). I'm holding on to them, but dont know why.

Bought a pair of Red Wings 8 months ago and really like them, highly recommend and are the few remaining "made in usa" boots around. Chipewea's(sp?) made usa as well. Mine are logger boots and very comfortable, and more importantly CAN BE RESOLED.... or so I'm told. Face it, if your wearing them alot, eventually the sole is going to go. Speaking of, I've got Johnston&Murphy work/dress shoes that runn down the heel...knowone can repair. It's a racket

I bought a pair of Vasque boots about 2 years ago. They were advertised as waterproof. Not only weren't they waterproof, they were cheap and fell apart in about 6 months. I replaced them witha pair of Raichle boots. They are very expensive, but they are worth every penny. I've never had Redwings, but everybody seems to love them.

I have a pair of Georgia boots steel toe with Gore tex and 400 grams of thinsulate and oil resistant worked in them for three years,there holding up but the leather is getting a little beat but All Else is well.I paid $150 for them.

I did buy I pair of Timberland Pros boots they lasted 3 weeks in my profession......I will not buy these again!

Redwings are a great workboot, and they were the last pair of work boot I had, they lasted 11 years till I had to repair a broken waste line. I tossed them after that, because they were toxic slime boots, even after several cleanings.mad.gif

My last pair of hiking boots are Asolo's and they are serious boots, but the thought of working in what sort of feels like ski boots, kinda is a bummer, unless I was loading heavy lumber. They were perfect for that, and in fact are designed for supporting heavy loads.

I would get Redwings again if I can ever work anything like I used to after a couple years of P/T.

View Postirish setter wingshooters 838

sold as waterfowl hunting boots, but trust me they are great for work.

truly waterproof and can be resoled.

I get the insulated ones for working outside in the winter and the regular ones for summer.

I should add that these are a red wing product. highfive.gif

Red Wing 2406 is what I use (safety toe for shop rules). The soles are a bit on the flexible side for hitting shovels and the like, but for being on my feet these sure are comfy. Think the 606 is the same boot without steel toe. If you do go with Red Wing watch where the boot was made, the China made boots have not been around long enough to get beaten like the USA made ones.

Never again Wolverine boots. First pair made it 11 months before the soles split. Granted the shop I was in at the time was tough on boots. Got them warrantied. Then maybe 13 months before the soles split on the replacements and I did not use/abuse this pair nearly as much because I bought Red Wing boots when the first pair went for warranty.

Irish Setter, Rocky, and Carolina are favorites of guys at work. I've not used any of these brands to give feeback otherwise.

Tims are garbage and always have ben. They are a fashion boot for rap videos. If you want the best most comfortable pair of WORK boots you can buy get Red Wings. Expensive but worth every penny. Before I started buying them I used to wear the Chippawa's . Thats not how you spell it but they are great boots as well, a little cheaper then the Red Wings.The warranty on the Red Wings is also good. At my local store if Iwear out the soles in the first year they will resole them for free.

All,

Thanks for the work boot comments. I think I will go with Redwing. I work at a shipyard and the vendor that visits there sells Redwings. I should be able to get a fair deal there and more than likely get something that will satisfy my needs.

I've always have complained about consumer junk and my newest Timmy's fall into that category. I should have known better from the start.

If you want something that will last and money is no object, avoid consumer grade products. They'll bite you every time these days.