Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimithing

Abu Garcia knobs help

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm new to Abu Garcia round reels. I recently got a 6500 CS Rocket with no paperwork. Can someone explain the knob system? I've got one on the left and one on the right. The one on the left has a thin piece of metal at the base that's got numbers on it and rotates. I've played with them all and can tell that both and the left hand side affect the free spool, but why are there two of them? Just want to make sure I know what I'm adjusting when I go out to practice casting. Thanks.

Welcome to the site!

Turn the right knob(handle side) all the way in. Now, the left is the one you are going to use to adjust the spool tension. Put the reel on the rod. Put your line through the guides on the rod. Now tie on the weigh or lure or whatever you are going to cast. Push in that line out release, and let the weight or lure or whatever hit the floor. If the spool continues to turn after the weight or lure hits the floor, turn the knob in, until the weight or lure releases and hits the floor with out any hesitation, or without any spool run on.

That's the basics I use. Once I see how the reel performs, I adjust accordingly. smile.gif

Thanks, that'll be a good start for me. What does the numbered metal plate at the base of the left hand knob do? Does it need to line up with the untextured triangle on the end of the spool tension knob?

6500-C5-CS-ROCKET-4.JPG

My view is somewhat different to Jimmy Z.

Use the two knobs to center the spool in the frame so the line will be laid onto the spool in a smooth even pattern by the levelwind with no lumps or hollows .

The spool should also be set with just a hint of side to side freeplay .And the reels centrifugal brakes and the right oil in the bearings used in conjunction with the line level used to control the reel .

If the knob under the handle screws down on an O-ring then it's to be used for centering the spool, if not tighten it down all the way. Once the spool is centered, adjust the left knob so that there is slight side play to the spool (.008) then move the little numbered ring so the zero is lined up with the

arrow on the cap. Now your set, if you want spool tension (not recommended) move the knob to 1 or 2 on the ring. Hope this helps