Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerseyDevil1

Paddle or Peddle ????

17 posts in this topic

Im going to get my first Kayak on Sunday and I would like to here

some opinions on the Peddle Yaks vs Paddle. I will be using it for fishing in fresh and salt water .

Any thoughts would be very helpful , Including the brand of Kayak ! ( Under $1,500 )

Thank you , JD

If you can afford a hobie, I would get one. You can add a sail to it! I would get one if it didn't mean getting murdered by my wifey, lol.

I was paddling today in my new Redfish, and I was able to make really go time with little effort tbh. Anyway you slice it..it's a lot of fun man.

Thing about the Hobies are they seem to have some issues with the pedal drive cause breaks in the plastic from what I have ben reading o other sites with the owners. Otherwise people love em'. The price is NOT right though.....1800.00 bucks is steep for a plastic tub with pedals, lol.

I don't own a Hobie, but my brother has one. $1800 sounds like alot, but I think it includes the seat, rudder and the mirage drive. Most yaks (non Hobie) are around a $1000. By the time you add a rudder, seat and a paddle youre dam close to the $1800 you layed out for the Hobie. And from what I understand Hobie has customer service 2nd to none. I know my brother went thru this with Hobie for a damaged hull due to the mirage drive ('07 model). Hobie gave him an '09 no questions asked.highfive.gif The '09s have a better locking mechanism for the drive.

My next yak will definately be a Hobie!!

Oh and my brother just got the sail kit, you should see that thing go!!!!

I've heard it said" Everyone eventually owns a Hobie" I know I will someday.

Tight Lines,

Seabasstard

Just going off online prices....I'm sure you can get them for less. But still....PRICEY. Way outta my league. Well...I did spend a grand on a bow, bought a shotgun and a handgun, and this Redfish12, lol. Wife has put her foot down. argue.gif

If you are very much into fishing and want a kayak as a tool to become a better fisherman and get to better fishing areas; then a Hobie cannot be beat.

There are alot of reasons one may not want one or need one, but it has become clear over the years; the Hobie Mirage Drive kayak is the best fishing kayak there is.

As far as the extra money, add in your seat, expensive paddle, and all the other stuff to a non mirage kayak. Then take the difference and divide it over the years and then divide it again for the times that you can effectively fish in the wind and chop and rips and current and your peers cannot get off the beach. Its a few dollars per outing. Keep pricing in perspective.wink.gif

The boys at kayak fishing stuff do alot of free demos (think there is one this weekend) and lots of seminars for free, if you reach out to them before hand, they usually dont mind bringing a specific boat for you to play with.

Your best bet is to research kayak fishing. Take your time, the rule book has not been written so you have to dig a bit deeper to get past the bs.

I would not get too hung up on the paddle vs. pedal thing. I know great anglers that use both types successfully. Look around on these boards and you will have a variety of boats guys swear by to choose from. Of course, everyone thinks their kayak is the best!

But you need to consider how you will use the boat and where you will use it or launch it, your physical abilities, your likes and dislikes.

Do you need to carry the boat any distance to launch sites? Do you mind maintaining mechanical items? Want an upper body workout? Have strong legs? Want a boat that is great for a surf launch? Depending on how you answer these questions a particular boat will meet your demands or not.

So, don't take my word or anyone elses for what to get. Take your time and make up your own mind. And here's a final thought. ALL kayaks have good and bad points. If someone can't tell you what is wrong with a particular boat, they are lying to you. Go elsewhere for advice.

Also, remember that there is a healthy market for used kayaks, If the first one you get doesn't suit, you will at least find out what you like and don't like. Sell it and try another. Happy hunting!