Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Van Wildonher

Material list and where to buy

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

It would help to know what kind of flies you'd like to tie.

For example, if you just want to tie some simple baitfish, you could tie dozens of different patterns with some bucktails, flash, braid, and peacock herl. That wouldn't cost you much no matter where you buy it.

That is a tough question, man. The world of fly tying is quite large...many patterns and many materials to choose from. Most materials are readily available, either online or in your local fly shop...if you have a local fly shop. To me, being able to veiw and sort through material is a great advantage to the tier...not always an option, as in my case. Many other anglers "local" shops are also available online...do some research, shop around...give them a call...most will be eager to help you out.

As far as the actual tying end...my advice to a beginner would be to get your hands on a book or two dedicated to basic fly tying patterns and techniques...start simple. Seems most people start out tying clousers and decievers...easy to tie and will usually reward you out on the water as well. Then, if you are still interested, keep trying to learn more patterns and tying techniques. The internet is also a wealth of knowledge easily accessible to tiers.

Fly tying is a sport in itself...just as dynamic and diverse as fly fishing.

View PostAny kind I can learn. I don't have a book or names, but I'd like to be able to do some like the forum member javicruzito. They look really nice.

Many years of pratice!

View PostThat is a tough question, man. The world of fly tying is quite large...many patterns and many materials to choose from. Most materials are readily available, either online or in your local fly shop...if you have a local fly shop. To me, being able to veiw and sort through material is a great advantage to the tier...not always an option, as in my case. Many other anglers "local" shops are also available online...do some research, shop around...give them a call...most will be eager to help you out.

As far as the actual tying end...my advice to a beginner would be to get your hands on a book or two dedicated to basic fly tying patterns and techniques...start simple. Seems most people start out tying clousers and decievers...easy to tie and will usually reward you out on the water as well. Then, if you are still interested, keep trying to learn more patterns and tying techniques. The internet is also a wealth of knowledge easily accessible to tiers.

Fly tying is a sport in itself...just as dynamic and diverse as fly fishing.

Well said you can also get some video's.Step by Step or take a fly tying lesson.There is a lot of information here & all the guy's will help you out.

Search & you will Seek.

Van Wildonher-

Welcome to the forum, you'll get a lot of great advice here. Javicruzito's flies are really great looking, but might be a bit tough to start out with. He's a very skilled tyer.

Let us know where you are and what you'll be fishing for so folks can suggest some simple patterns, and also the size (weight) of your fly rods you'll be using-- that will help determine the size of the flies you can easily throw.

As The Fisherman said you can go along way with some bucktail, body braid, flash and peacock herl. For example here in the North East you could tie some easy but effective patterns like:

Clousers

Ray's Fly

Bucktail Deceiver

(you can find step by steps for tying these online through google)

Again this may not be appropriate depending on where you are, but if you're going after stripers and bluefish in the Northeast I'd suggest a materials list like:

Hooks: Mustad 34007 or 3407 in size 2 and 1/0 (about 12 bucks per 100)

Thread: Danvilles Flat Waxed Nylon in Chartreuse, Black and White (about 2 bucks apiece)

Body: Pearlescent Body Braid (about 2 bucks a pack)

Bucktail: Chartreuse, Natural (white), Yellow, Olive (about 5 bucks each)

Flash: Pearlescent Krystal Flash (about 3 bucks)

Topping: Peacock Herl (about 3 bucks)

Eyes: a length of bead chain from a hardware store or lead eyes for clousers

Head Cement: Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails about 3 bucks

With this you could tie up a variety of stuff to imitate baitfish in different profiles and sizes like:

Clousers in chartreuse, olive and white for sandeels and fishing flies in deeper depths

Rays Fly (olive over yellow over white) for silversides and sandeels

Bucktail Deceivers all white, olive over white, all Chartreuse, all yellow (menhaden and other large profile baitfish)

This stuff is pretty standard for most fly shops if you have one near you. We can't post links here, but send me a PM if you want some suggestions for some online retailers.

mark

I agree, start with simple flies, then work your way up. The type of fly you want to do is the ultimate goal, not a beginner fly. There are people here who tie world class flies. Someone new cannot just start tying them normally. It takes lots of practice and time. Some people have a natural talent for it of course. I get lots of inspiration here on fly tying. Just looking at these flies makes you want to go tye some up for yourself. The info others gave you is excellent, I agree with them. Watch videos...You Tube can be a great friend on fly tying. Buy a couple of books. Learn techniques, then you can get creative. I started out with Woolly Buggers and simple stuff like that. I would suggest you learn how to do a whip finish by hand, and if you can get someone to show you how...learn to use the whip finishing tool. Learn how to tie in your materials, how to palmer your hackle...how to add the eyes and glue them in...that sort of thing. Good luck and happy tying!

I also can help you in what could ....I don't know much but we learn together hehe!...First that nothing,uses your imagination,concentrated and see beyond what you could think! and inspire!!hehe!!! and is true the best fly to start is the clouser minnow...is easy and very effective fly for many species of fish begins with it and tell me later or post your flies here.Bye my friend!

Go out and get Essential Saltwater Flies by Ed Jaworowski. I fond that book very helpful when I was getting started. It's full of basic tips in controlling material and tying techniques. It has recommendations on tools and materials. And a great bunch of flies to tie for every type of saltwater fly fishing with good detailed instructions on how to tie them all.

Van Wildonher, pic a fly you like, then buy the materials for that one fly, an go from there, after picking enought flys, you like you will have all the materials to tie what ever you want ( cheep an eazy way to start ). get flys from outher tyers an tie them, send me your add an Ill send you one you can COPYsmile.gif

GOOD LUCKGOOD TYIN

One other thing I found useful was to identify a pattern I wanted to tie, for example Lou Tabory's Snake Head, and then find all the patterns I could and identify the materials from the patterns and then get them.

Chris Windrams ******************* (I guess references to other sites aren't allowed, apologies) also has patterns attached to the manufactured versions so that was really helpful as well.

Ed Jaworski's book is a fantastic way to get started, just to further endorse the views already expressed.