Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HellRaY

ICAST Shimano

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

shimano revised the baitrunner. it's amazing how small they have gotten. comes in 3 sizes 4000, 6000, 8000 or 10000 i forgot which.

anways, imagione a 4000 size stradic with a baitrunner, that's how small the baitrunner 4000 is. the 6000 is as big as a 6000 stradic too. hybrid body. the spool is the same short deep spool unfortunately. however, the spool lip has changed to the propulsion line management system.

you mention hybrid body...... Does that mean its like the thunnus. graphite body and aluminum sideplate. Or like the other shimano reels aluminum body graphite side plate.

View PostThose small baitrunners would be nice for freshwater.

Did you ever see the originals? Really small...just gave my two away last year, a 250 and 350 I believe... I got them the same month the first BR's came out, before they had the big ones smile.gif

View Postgold huh? shakehead.gif

one of my favorite things about the old one was the un-blingyness of it.

Talk about stealth, I'm "still" using the 4500plus with the black graphite spool wink.gif And if I'm lucky, the lettering will come off the new one, as easy as this one, with acetone icon14.gif

Looks nice, will have to take a closer look.................

does anyone know whether or not shimano changed the baitrunner's engaged position? it looks to me in the pictures like the new baitrunner's disengaged position is resting up against the butt of the reel. it's a minor detail, but one of the only gripes i had about the old baitrunner was that the disengaged lever would be jutting out.

View Postdoes anyone know whether or not shimano changed the baitrunner's engaged position? it looks to me in the pictures like the new baitrunner's disengaged position is resting up against the butt of the reel. it's a minor detail, but one of the only gripes i had about the old baitrunner was that the disengaged lever would be jutting out.

You would rather have it sticking out while in gear, so you can bang it and knock it into freespool?

It should be good for the gears to repeatedly do that with no slack in the linesmile.gif

View Postis it three sizes or four? you say 3 but you list 4.

Pure.....read again. Rhay very clearly says:

"...... comes in 3 sizes 4000, 6000, 8000 or 10000 i forgot which."

He only lists three.....he's not sure whether the last one was a 8000 or 10000.

The big online and walkin store in south Jersey shows 4, 4000,6000,8000 and 12000.

This is from the ICAST page on the Taclke Tour website:

Baitrunner D: As expected Shimano put a lot of emphasis on bringing up their saltwater offerings this year. Like the Shimano Stradic the Baitrunner gets a major makeover and the baitrunner's transformation is even more extreme. Since the introduction of the Triton SeaSpin with the Baitrunner in 1986 the design on the previous reel has gone unchanged. Certain features like Dyna-Blance and Power Roller were added onto the reel during this time but for the most part the reel retained both it's classic look and form. With so many advancements in spinning reel technology within the Shimano lineup it was high time to remake this classic. picicast09shimanoreels10.jpg

Shimano also redesigns the Baitrunner, and it has been a long time coming

The Baitrunner D gets a complete redesign this year that makes the reel more compact and yet preserves everything that guides and anglers loved about the original including the drivetrain and patented auto return baitrunner feature. The new Baitrunner D features S-Concept design with a direct drive mechanism with a thread in handle attachment. The reel looks more aggressive in appearance and features an oversized septon handle grip for power and comfort.

picicast09shimanoreels11.jpg

Shimano makes use of all the new technologies while preserving what anglers love about the original

The Baitrunner D's frame and sideplate are all graphite and the spool is cold forged. The Baitrunner D also benefits from the company's Propulsion Line Management System and comes with a beefed up waterproof drag system that features Dartanium II drag washers. The Baitrunner D will come in sizes ranging from 4000 to 12000* and the smaller reel now makes this reel more suitable for light line and inshore applications. All but the massive 12000 size feature a 4.8:1 gear ratio and the 12000 size has an even more powerful 4.4:1 gear ratio. The Baitrunner D will be available first in he 8000 size right after ICAST with the other sizes following in the months to come. The smallest 4000 size will retail for $159.99 and the 12000 size will be only 30 dollars more.

*(I added the bold).

picicast09shimanoreels12.jpg

The Baitrunner D also benefits from the company's Propulsion Line Management System and comes with a beefed up waterproof drag system that features Dartanium II drag washers

View Postdoes anyone know whether or not shimano changed the baitrunner's engaged position? it looks to me in the pictures like the new baitrunner's disengaged position is resting up against the butt of the reel. it's a minor detail, but one of the only gripes i had about the old baitrunner was that the disengaged lever would be jutting out.

Looks like the thunnus, works great. If the rod is left in freespool in a rod holder all you have to do is pick it up and in that motion depending how you pick it up engage it in the same motion. I have had plenty of both and prefer the thunnus design.

View PostThe big online and walkin store in south Jersey shows 4, 4000,6000,8000 and 12000.

i only saw 3, maybe there's 4 is there's a vacant slot on the middle of the first picture i posted. maybe the 4th one was stolen?

again, i'm sorry, i only saw 3.