Fresh water just don't do it for me anymore......

Rate this topic

night owl

man that happend to me its now bin more than 10 years now i can not fish fresh it dose nothing for me i call the fish guppies now so i know your pain but its gets better the big fish will be back just hold on before u know it u will be into the big girls tite lines and good fishinbeers.gifbeers.gif

dirty water angler

Lotta good responses and some good advise too!

Don't get me wrong....... I am greatful for any and all catches. I love fishin.

I just remember being much more excited for a catch like that years ago before I seriously got into salt. Fresh water is still fun but I think fish size has a lot to do with it. It's nice to be able to eat your catch too.

I'm glad I'm not alone though!!

I know what you mean. The bigger fish and fight in a more challenging environment get me juiced. I also find that new species, new locations and honing my skills can also be exciting. Northern pike for the fight, honing my fly fishing/stealth skills for trout and going to Canada, South America or a pristine stream will peak my interest. Finally its also the company you keep.

New experiences and variety is the spice of life. smile.gif

View PostSomething about the call to the surf, I'll never go back to fresh....

I'm with you iceman. I live 2 hrs. from the surf, but 5 minutes from fantastic trout and freshwater bass fishing, but I am beyond bored with it. I gave it up about 3 seasons ago. I still take my young boys out every so often, but it's for them. Then again every single time I walk or drive onto a beach or jetty with rod in hand it's like christmas morning you just can't describe it. I know it because I still get nervous "tingles" right before I get there I'm so excited. I don't get that feeling with any other type of fishing- so for me it's surroundings and the gear that get me.

my father and i have this conversation all the time. him, fresh. me, salt. i can take him up to the beach in the middle of a gorgeous fall day with bass crashing bait and he just shrugs his shoulders. "eh its ok i guess..." i get "its too much like work all those big fish!" outta him a lot. on the other hand we can take his boat to a nice freshwater lake and fish jigs in timber all day and im over it by the 10th cast. (i do it just to spend time with him) i start my season off in the sweetwater in feb. that ends by april. then its salt all the way till the summer doldrums set in. i start getting a little bored of the salt and go back to freshwater night fishing, which is pretty fun. by late august and sept im back to salt till thanksgiving or shortly there after. finish out the season with some searun brown trouting.

sometimes you must be a well rounded fisherman. enjoy every aspect of the game and all fish that you chase. a lot of the guys out now are one trick ponys. they can catch a striper!! cwm33.gif put them on a beach with a bucktail in the summer and watch how frustrated they get!! wink.gif or put them in a trout stream with an UL rod and 4lb test with a spinner and they'll loose their mind. its like a guy who only knows how to fish an open beach, well lets say he goes to cutty, now he's misserable cause he cant buy a hit or has no clue how to fish the "fields". a lot of FW technique transfers over to salt, like plugging the sods from a boat or fishing ontop of a jetty.

plus... it gives you a reason to buy more gear! ! ! ! ! ! beers.gif

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

There's just no challenge in it for you.

With a big striper or blue the potential exsts for a whole host of things to go wrong, and that's IF you manage to find them and get them on the line.\\

An area like a pond, if yopu pardon the pun, is like shooting fish in a barrel.

And then, of course, you're using gear that's WAY more rugged then the fish you're going after.

Make it a challenge. Go with an Ultralight setup for rod and reel. Get a 2WT fly rod setup and watch how much work you put in landing a simple small Sunfish or Yellow Perch.

Make it something that you're actually going to enjoy.

View PostDid take my 7-year-old fishing in the kayak today, he caught some largemouth. Maybe tomorrow I'll take it out in the brine.

I went chasing Bass and pike at a river about 30 minutes from my house and got the smell of skunk.gifskunk.gifskunk.gif all over me.. river was way too high to even try..

I moved to Ct. 12 years ago, and started to get in fresh water. I did it for a couple of years, and it never grabbed me as the salt water did. I will still go fresh water fishing, but I'm salt water, through and through.smile.gif

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

See I am just the reverse, I am about 5 minutes from the beach and maybe I take it for granted. But when I take a drive to an area with good lakes or streams and LMB or smallies I get that same excitement. I guess it's about the change in scenery

View PostI'm with you iceman. I live 2 hrs. from the surf, but 5 minutes from fantastic trout and freshwater bass fishing, but I am beyond bored with it. I gave it up about 3 seasons ago. I still take my young boys out every so often, but it's for them. Then again every single time I walk or drive onto a beach or jetty with rod in hand it's like christmas morning you just can't describe it. I know it because I still get nervous "tingles" right before I get there I'm so excited. I don't get that feeling with any other type of fishing- so for me it's surroundings and the gear that get me.