Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
night owl

Fresh water just don't do it for me anymore......

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

It's 2 am. in the middle of summer and I felt like fishin. Stripers are slow and this time of year I sometimes hit the sweet water for fun. So I decided to hit the pond across the street. I grab my rod and tie on a magnum 5" jitterbug. As I'm walkin through the woods, I turn my head lamp on and see big eyeballs (looked like a couple of does) reflecting back at me. I smiled and said to myself 3 more months and your next!

So I get to the pond and my very first cast...... WAM! I reeled in a nice 5lb bucket mouth. The noise caused the deer to snort behind me! As I held this bass in my hand, I admired the earthy fishy smell and looks of this beautiful creature.

But it just didn't excite me as it used to. I don't know what it is but the sweet water just doesn't do it for me anymore. What happened? Does this mean that I'm a fully converted saltwater fisherman?? LOL....... Anyone else suffer from this??

depends, bass aren't really that exciting anymore. But fishing little creeks and tailwaters out west get my heart pounding, i love those jarring bottom strikes big cats and carp give you.

LOL....... Anyone else suffer from this??

Yes, its a painful lesson. Few freshwater fish live up to saltwater expectations. It makes me laugh when I fish freshwater, what I catch I would use for bait in saltwater.shakehead.gif

It happened to me about 15 years ago. What I did was save the fresh water fishing for winter time. After Deer season was over, I went ice fishing. That worked for me. After you have caught some fat cow stripers.....nothing is the same!

i gave up years ago on catching bass....wayyyyy too easy...go for wild trout with a flyrod ...not the stupid stockies, but wild, be they small brookies up a small mountain creek where the slightest movement spooks 'em, or a monster holdover who has been in the river long enough to realize what's going on...I gaurentee you, catching a 20 + rainbow or a 5-7 lb brown in a freestone river on a fly-rod will convert you to a different way to fish forever...

If however, bass is in your blood, a smallmouth river fish will surprize you on how strong they are from living in an environment with a CURRENT ..even a tiny 10' on a 2-3 wieght fly-rod will excite you..

yeah, I'm another victim. I take my kids freshwater sometimes now, but that fishing is for them, not me. Nothing beats flyrodding or surfcasting in the brine, anticipating big fish.

Change you method of fishing...try fly fishing for 'em!

I started doing this about 6 years ago when I felt the same way. It was an opportunity to learn a new way to fish and stay interested in the species. Since then, I've brought it out to the salt water and now I've lost my mind biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

...in a great way.

I hear ya. I grew up fishing the great lakes and that spoiled me for freshwater.....salmon, steelhead, musky, world class smallmouth, walleye and a number of other species! I do like fishing the freshwater but not as much as the great lakes and not nearly as much as saltwater. Stock pond trout really don't do it for me.....I do like fishing LMB in heavy cover though but would still rather be in the surf.

I might be in the process of changing over myself. Going out freshwater at sun rise tomorrow, so we'll see how it feels. I hear ya though. A fish can only get so big in fresh water. In salt, the range is greater, and I think it's that chance for a huge suprise that lures you away. It's like gambling.

catch a few 4lb smallies on finesse gear, while wading in shorts and sandals for a few miles, that will get ya back into it.

Its the search of untouched water that does it for me.

People always complain about the beaches being crowded with bass anglers. Thats nothing compared to the creeks and lakes during trout season. Not to mention many of these guys bring their kids.