Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capequahog

done pork butt temp

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

185/190...held for a while.

It's done when you can twist the bone out.

Get it to 185 and hold for say an hour, or more, but leave at least an hour to hold before serving. Wrap in foil and a towel or blanket and it will mellow.

Pinkies up. icon14.gif

Hmmmm....am a rookie, but I think I read somewhere that 195 is the "magic" temp that the collagen melts, and it needs to be held at that for at least two hours while on the smoker......and that leaving it on, you will see that temp and then it will stop to rise for awhile, and the minute it starts to go higher, you are done. Something about the extra time that makes the collagen infuse the muscle............

At abt 225 it's generally 1.5 hours per lb.

You will normally hit a "plateau" around 160-170 and in may some hours to get thru that, could even drop a few degrees. 190-195 is usally where mine come off and then wrapped and rested at least an hour.

Collagen begins to slowly break down at 140 and then very rapidly when you get to 200 or so.

its at 140 now aft about 4hr and was prob 5-6 lbs, this offset smoker seems to need a lot of charcoal although this is my first real attempt so not sure, also used a couple of hunks of wood confused.gif

View Post185/190...held for a while.

It's done when you can twist the bone out.

Get it to 185 and hold for say an hour, or more, but leave at least an hour to hold before serving. Wrap in foil and a towel or blanket and it will mellow.

Pinkies up. icon14.gif

Rookietongue.gif...

You need a WSM and some microbrew, my friendsmile.gif

I removed it at 180 because I didn't want tend the smoker any longr, wrapped it in foil let sit about two hrs and in fridge over night, sliced it up it had a nice smoke ring made the sauce and my son and I each had two awesome sandwiches for lunch, we even let the gals have somewink.gif , excellent

still need to figure out the best method for maintaining the temp on the iron monster and replace the factory thermom which is shot

my 3 yr old grandson liked ithighfive.gif

Cape , you only have to maintain smoke for the first few hours. After the bark/crust is set (usually 2-3 hours) it will not absorb more smoke. You only have to maintain temps. VIA wood, charcoal or even finishing in your inside oven or crock pot. Remember you don't want your smoke looking like a chimney,. aim for TBS (Thin Blue Smoke) white billowing smoke imparts a harsh flavor. Sounds like you had under control. As far aas maintaining temp play with the air intakes. the more open the hotter. I find on mine opened about a half inch each does it. Also I have a fire pit in my backyard so I can have a nice fire and shovel wood coals into my chamber.

View PostCape , you only have to maintain smoke for the first few hours. After the bark/crust is set (usually 2-3 hours) it will not absorb more smoke. You only have to maintain temps. VIA wood, charcoal or even finishing in your inside oven or crock pot. Remember you don't want your smoke looking like a chimney,. aim for TBS (Thin Blue Smoke) white billowing smoke imparts a harsh flavor. Sounds like you had under control. As far aas maintaining temp play with the air intakes. the more open the hotter. I find on mine opened about a half inch each does it. Also I have a fire pit in my backyard so I can have a nice fire and shovel wood coals into my chamber.

What he said.

View PostRemove at 195-205 wrap in foil then a towel place in a cooler(no ice)for 2 hours, but will stay hot a lot longer.

Exactly the way I do it. I'll hold them in a cooler for at least 2 hours and up to four or six hours.

I find that putting the meat on cold gives me a better smoke ring and extends the cooking time a bit so I do mine overnight. Toss a couple 9 lbers on around 10pm and they're done early in the afternoon. That leaves time to put some baby back ribs on the smoker and have them finished in 4 hours or so. Leave the butts in the cooler until the ribs are almost done then pull them and finish off the ribs.

View PostExactly the way I do it. I'll hold them in a cooler for at least 2 hours and up to four or six hours.

I find that putting the meat on cold gives me a better smoke ring and extends the cooking time a bit so I do mine overnight. Toss a couple 9 lbers on around 10pm and they're done early in the afternoon. That leaves time to put some baby back ribs on the smoker and have them finished in 4 hours or so. Leave the butts in the cooler until the ribs are almost done then pull them and finish off the ribs.

clapping.gifclapping.gif