Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishingsurveyor

Bft Permits

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Can someone help me out with the BFT permit. If I understand this, anyone or any vessel fishing for BFT willl need a permit. Does this include the football tuna I suspect it does. Is the permit only needed to sell the fish or do you need it to actualy fish and land one for personal consumption. Also is the permit good only for the vessel or is it for the angler

ty

You definetly need the permit if you intend to fish BFT's....if you intend to fish for footballs and have no intentions of selling your catch you'll probably want to purchase the HMS angling permit you can get all the needed info from NMFS

Just search online for the NMFS permit shop and get an HMS angling category permit. I just renewed mine a few weeks ago, I think it was $16, and you can print it out from the website, so no need to wait to get it in the mail.

View Postpermit is issued to the boat. Limits apply to the boat. Must have to fish for tuna. Know your stuff on this one or potential for serious doo-doo.

Good luck

Good advice. I've heard too many stories lately from the offshore crew about hooking up with big Stripers while chasing BFT. Stripers as a bycatch is unavoidable at times. Targeting them is not a wise choice of action.

Bout time some enforcement cost someone the ownership of their boat to get the message across.