Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doyle007

Advice needed for adhering sea glass and trinkets onto concrete step/bench

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

We had a deck built out of Evergrain last year, and as a result, we no longer needed the concrete steps that were in place. They were too big to throw away or bury, so I moved them to my daughter's garden area, and they are now a bench underneath her trumpet vine. She would like to make the bench look like a mosaic piece by attaching sea glass and trinkets (polished stones, some small pieces of jewelry from broken necklaces, charms, etc.) that she has collected over the past two or three years.

So, what would you all suggest? I was thinking about mixing up something like Quikcrete, applying it to the face of the step, and then placing the pieces into it before it hardens, but I'm not sure if this is the best way or not.

Her 7th birthday is coming up in September, and I'd like to have the bench completed by then.

Thanks.

Doyle, I would just clean the surface as best as possible (powerwash or scrub brush) and use a PL product to place the items where ya want them.

Quickcrete is not a bonding agent for anything other than itself and the subsurface. Google PL adhesives, and you'll find a tube of just what you need.

This way, any water/ice that would bust out a coat of mortar, wont happen.

Oh, and you could always scratch coat some of that mortar around the trinkets afterwards if ya want to make them set flush.

I'd use a thinset ,and then grout the mosaics in.

The PL construction adhesive may take a bit to cure. And if you used it before things were set,you will have movement.Maybe there is a fast set I'm not aware of.

I'd like to see a pic if You can when done! Kewl Idea!

View PostI'd use a thinset ,and then grout the mosaics in.

The PL construction adhesive may take a bit to cure. And if you used it before things were set,you will have movement.Maybe there is a fast set I'm not aware of.

PL has a bunch of new products out. Including faster setting stuff.

View PostI'd use a thinset ,and then grout the mosaics in.

There is a guy in Manhattan who has done this on all sorts of stuff, including lamp posts (the aluminum ones), and after 10 years, it still looks good, save for the soot deposits.smile.gif